2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced oil pressure sender, but..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
umbali
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced oil pressure sender, but..

Ok I replaced the sending unit sensor thingy lol....my oil pressure Gauge still doesnt work. Which is fine I guess cus now the flicking oil pressure light doesnt come on when in idle and in gear.

So I think i solved one thing, now how do i got about fixing the gauge?

Pull the instrument cluster? If so, then what lol.

All in all not a bad day though, Changed plugs and wires and replaced power steering pressure hose due to a leak. Replaced the oil pressure sending unit which was a pita to reach.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The sending unit sends the signal to the PCM also, so if you can, find some one with a good scanner and see what it says. If it reads correctly, then I'd say the gauge or wire in between is hosed. Other than that, you can buy a cheap aftermarket oil pressure gauge, just to confirm that the pressure is in fact ok.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
umbali
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recently had it scanned when i started having transmission issues, and nothing indicated that anything was wrong with the gauge or oil pressure.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The PCM won't notice, or care... if the gauge doesn't work, or is inaccurate. So long as it thinks oil pressure is above about 7 PSI, it won't turn on the low pressure lite..... It may be sending a signal to the gauge, as for what pressure to read, but, either the signal isn't getting there, or, the gauge itself is faulty.

Also, unless you specifically asked whoever did the scan to check that, chances are real good that it would not be something he would routinely look at.

Quick Reply: Replaced oil pressure sender, but..