2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS, Parking Brake, and (!) Lights Go On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
brneyedgrl80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ABS/Parking brake lights have been going on and off for about 5 years now. In my case it's the module which runs about $700 give or take.

You might be lucky and it may just be the sensor which is only around $400.

Pretty pricey to turn off a couple of lights.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
ABS, parking brake, and brake warning.

Is the parking brake released all the way? Possibly a bad brake switch. Also could be a blown rear brake line......
Parking brake is all the way up. I held the brake lever and pulled on the parking brake to make sure. If it was the brake line is it possible that I wouldn't see fluid leaking? Also is there any way to easily test the brake switch or are they inexpensive enough to just replace?

Hope it's not the brake line. I just hate bending them or is there an aftermarket line that I wouldn't have to bend?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
eisej
Rookie

Originally Posted by brneyedgrl80
My ABS/Parking brake lights have been going on and off for about 5 years now. In my case it's the module which runs about $700 give or take.

You might be lucky and it may just be the sensor which is only around $400.

Pretty pricey to turn off a couple of lights.
BRNEYEDGRL80: Do you have any issues with the RWAL or ABS kicking on even though it's dry pavement or anything similar? Or are your lights just on and everything is working fine?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
eisej
Rookie

Found this article about bleeding drum brakes and it mentioned that to get the brake light lights to go off you turn the ignition to on and press the brake pedal once. I then turned my truck of and started it. I've stopped it and started it a couple of times today as well as driven it twice and so far my lights have not come back on.

http://www.essortment.com/bleed-brakes-car-57550.html

Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never heard of that before. But then again the article also said you must bring your Chrysler vehicle to a mechanic and have it power bled. LOL
Glad its working though, maybe it's a OBDI thing.

Quick Reply: ABS, Parking Brake, and (!) Lights Go On and Off