2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS, Parking Brake, and (!) Lights Go On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS, Parking Brake, and (!) Lights Go On and Off

I did some searching but couldn't find anything like this. I have a '96 Ram 1500 Pickup 4x4. I have about 185k miles on her with the 318 which runs like a champ. The ABS, parking brake and (!) lights are almost always on even after disconnecting the battery for a while. The brakes feel better than they have in the past since I bled the entire system. I didn't see many bubbles but the fluid in the master cylinder looked dirty and possibly contaminated. I syphoned most of it out without letting it go low enough to let air in, filled it, rinsed and repeated. This was all before I bled the brakes.

What would you think the problem is if the lights go off right after I'm driving and hit the brakes and feel the antilock kick in for a quick second. This happens when I'm on dry pavement. Then I'll hit the brakes again right after that, I won't feel the antilock kick in, and the ABS, parking brake, and (!) lights come back on. I checked the proportioning/metering valve which comes out slightly when I apply the brakes. I also performed the booster airtightness check outlined in the aftermarket repair manual. That seemed to check out fine. I have replaced the ABS sensor in the rear differential already. In addition the front brakes, rotors, and calipers have all been done. I've adjusted the passenger rear shoes since the drum pulled off with no problem.

Again the brakes aren't the greatest but I have seen worse. I was going to check the ABS code by jumpering the one connector (13 I believe) but thought I would put up a post first to get some expert advice. I appreciate the help.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the RWAL brake sensor or connector on top of the rear end.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

Speedo working right?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM
generaljr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have on only the brake light, but my brakes are acting bad, some times hard to stop, rotors, pads, fluid ok. could be the rwal sensor

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM
eisej
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Speedo working right?
Speedometer is on. Only reason I know for sure is that my GPS gives my speed and it's identical to my speedometer.

As far as the sensor on the differential I think that is the one I replaced. I cleaned the connections with an electrical cleaner (battery was disconnected), double checked the wiring as far as I could, and let it dry before reconnecting. The lights still do the same after I reconnected the battery.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
eisej
Rookie

One other thing that's odd and will probably help. When the ABS, Parking, and (!) are off the brake, when pressed, makes a kind of squeeking/squeeling noise. It comes from inside the cab with out a doubt. I know that sounds strange but could that mean there is a problem with the brake booster i.e maybe the vacuum line? I'll check it and post what I find.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the brake switch on the pedal is bad? And maybe I'm stupid(well not maybe), but what the hell is (!) ????? Besides an *** crack.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
eisej
Rookie

I just got done taking the vacuum hose off and when it came off it definitely had a good seal since there was a good hiss when I took it off and the truck hasn't been running in quite a few hours.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
eisej
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe the brake switch on the pedal is bad? And maybe I'm stupid(well not maybe), but what the hell is (!) ????? Besides an *** crack.
My bad. Originally I thought it was the check engine but it wasn't. I've looked through the owner's manual and the aftermarket manual and neither mention an exclamation point. It does however show the shift indicator light being there for manuals. Mine is an automatic. I included some pics of the lights that are on.

Last edited by eisej; 03-09-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

ABS, parking brake, and brake warning.

Is the parking brake released all the way? Possibly a bad brake switch. Also could be a blown rear brake line......

Quick Reply: ABS, Parking Brake, and (!) Lights Go On and Off