2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold rough idle, misfires until warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Brent Jones
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... got the green beast prepped for surgery starting at 7:30 a.m. I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever been happy about seeing oil in the intake manifold. I pulled the TB off... got the trusty flashlight and BOOM... there it was, a nice pool of oil at the back of the intake. Like I said I will be busting into it early and I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks so much for the help on this thing... it has been driving me crazy for YEARS (believe it or not)

Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Brent Jones

Ok... Hughes plenum kit installed. Same problem. Got it hooked up to a OBDII machine and it shows its running rich. The guy said to advance the timing if at all possible. Not sure what else to try.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Brent Jones

Originally Posted by whiskerbiscuit
Hey everyone; I had the exact same problem last year. Turned out to be the collant temp sensor................Mike

This is what I am replacing today. Everything I have read about the sensor points to possible solutions to my problem. I either get the truck fixed or find a for sale sign to put on it. This is a mind boggling problem.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Since you have access to a scanner, have a look at what temp the PCM thinks the engine is, and also IAT sensor reading. Either one could contribute to a rich condition.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Brent Jones

Last night, since the truck hasnt been run much, it threw the CEL. After replacing the Temp Sensor I drove it to the auto parts and had the code run. The truck is running alot better but still has a problem and the CEL says ignition problem so the only ignition parts that have not been replaced are the wires so thats next. BUT... it will wait until after the much needed vacation for the next 6 days.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Vacation? What is this mysterious item you speak of?????

Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Brent Jones

Vacations over and after replacing the last of the ignition parts (coil and wires) it seems to be running somewhat better but still has the popping back through the exhaust and intake. I have almost replaced everything on the engine with the exception of the cam sensor, map sensor and TPS.

Here is a nice list of replaced parts...

Hughes Plenum Kit
Crank sensor
Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil
Pre-cat O2
Coolant temp sensor

I dont think I left anything out but even after all that it still pops through the exhaust and in the intake and runs rough until it gets warm.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Brent Jones

Is it time to do a compression check? This engine was put in 2 years ago after it was bought from someone that had a rebuild done on it 40k before.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

out of curiosity, have you checked your oil since the plenum repair?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Brent Jones

I have not checked the oil but I do know it has not run more than 10 miles since the repair and was changed after the repair. Why?

Quick Reply: Cold rough idle, misfires until warm