2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pushrod Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
kikidbird
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrod Size Question

I had my Eddelbrock Cylinder Heads machined and valve job cut. I have 1.7 Roller rockers installed with Trick Flow 6.750 .080 pushrods. After adjusting my valves correctly, I have a slopy of endplay up and down. Do I need to install longer pushrods to compensate the valve cut?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Valve job machines the valve seats, putting the valve stem higher up in the head. Machining the head surface will also shorten the length the pushrod needs to be.... So, unless they cut too much off the end of the valve stem, to compensate for the valve job..... something else is going on there.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock pushrod length on the cast factory heads is 6.925". According to Summit, trick flow does not make the correct size pushrod. I assume you are running adjustable rockers???

I'm pretty sure Edelbrock would not have changed that without providing pushrods with the heads. Actually, I'm not sure they could anyway as it would mess with valvetrain geometry with the lifters and pushrods.

Usually when the valve pockets are re-cut, they also shave the tops of the valves to compensate. If they didn't, you would actually need a shorter pushrod, as the valve would sit however much higher they cut into the seats.

Where did you get the number 6.750" from? You're running almost 2 tenths of an inch too short, I believe. That's a bit more than 3/16ths an inch using ruler lingo, that's massive slop. Are your pushrods that sloppy in the seats?

Hughes makes chromemoly pushrods in the correct length if that is what you are wanting. I've also heard, but don't hold me to this, that Ford 6.936" hardened pushrods can also be used as the hydraulic lifters we have can take up that extra bit of length and still be withing spec. Those can be found for about $55, as the Ford market is much more competitive.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM
kikidbird
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed the brand new Eddelbrock heads, I ordered the Trick Flow 6.750 .080 pushrods. Truck ran fine untill this valve job. I adjust the valves to zero lash and then a 1/4 turn. I wait till the pressure bleads down and continue to adjust the rest of the valve. After im done with all the valve adjustment, the roller rockers are very loose. I put a dial indicator on and I get a reading of 0.150 of endplay.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kikidbird
I had my Eddelbrock Cylinder Heads machined and valve job cut. I have 1.7 Roller rockers installed with Trick Flow 6.750 .080 pushrods. After adjusting my valves correctly, I have a slopy of endplay up and down. Do I need to install longer pushrods to compensate the valve cut?
Gotta get an adjustable push rod and check your valve train geometry, to many variables going on.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with adobedude at this point, too much guessing will go on without one.

I can't believe you were able to run those rods before, but I will freely admit I have no hands on experience with the eddy heads.

Are your lifters completely deflated?
What exactly did you have done to the heads at the Machine Shop?
And why exactly did you get a valve job on heads that already come with a 3 angle?

Quick Reply: Pushrod Size Question