2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Deal or No Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Its the dealer. What do you expect? They think they have the Midas touch. (everything they touch turns to gold)

Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent $2,500 on my 2001 Ram from a private seller.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Its the dealer. What do you expect? They think they have the Midas touch. (everything they touch turns to gold)
not to get all silly with this thread which has hardly nothing to do with this, but:

certain 'types' are drawn to certain jobs.. some are drawn to military lifestyle.. some enjoy it and make a career.. some are drawn to mechanics of some variety.. some are drawn to cooking, some to public service, some to librarians.. whatever.. the type that are drawn to selling things like cars alwys seem to fit the profile of "think they are a little smarter than you, and can pull one over on you"...

the same items on a vehicle they will depreciate when you're trading in are the same ones they will lend accolades to when you are purchasing.. they move fluidly between retail value, and wholesale- citing retail for the purchase, and wholesale for the trade.. they will use KBB/NADA when it benefits them, but fall back on 'market demand' when it doesn't..

they are well versed in getting your cash.. and that is their aim..

if you're buying used, slow your roll and determine what you're looking for precisely.. then keep your eyes open for the right one to come on the market.. It could take upwards of a year.. if you do this though, you will be much happier than going the other route and letting some slick salesman tell YOU what YOU want.. (and leaving you to think it was your idea to begin with)..

also, if at all possible, deal with a private sale.. You can talk to the previous owner and size him up.. get a look at how he maintains his 'other' vehicle (the one he's not selling).. see if he takes care of his property.. talk to him about the history of the rig.. look the rig over while asking questions, and see if everything you hear adds up with what you see.. HE IS MOST LIKELY NOT TRAINED AND/OR PRACTICED TO DIVERT YOUR ATTENTION TO SOMETHING ELSE (in his favor) WHILST YOUR WHEELIN' and DEALIN'..

and, about the brands- ALL vehicles have issues.. I'd rather deal with a blown plenum on a dodge than I would acidic paint on a chevy.. for one: you don't need specialized equipment and space to fix the plenum, and second: you'll feel more like a damn man with grease and oil up to your elbows than you would hiding behind a plastic sheet with a respirator on... your choice though..

and one parting shot: I own the dodge I have now because the v6 F150 I owned prior didn't have ***** enough to yank a travel trailer around.. it was a 2004 standard cab swb.. I bought it in 2003 for 14k, and sold it in 2006ish for 13k.. a buddy just bought one dang near identical this past month for 7k.. if you don't need brawn, you can find a good deal.. how much is that machismo worth to you?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
not to get all silly with this thread which has hardly nothing to do with this, but:

certain 'types' are drawn to certain jobs.. some are drawn to military lifestyle.. some enjoy it and make a career.. some are drawn to mechanics of some variety.. some are drawn to cooking, some to public service, some to librarians.. whatever.. the type that are drawn to selling things like cars alwys seem to fit the profile of "think they are a little smarter than you, and can pull one over on you"...

the same items on a vehicle they will depreciate when you're trading in are the same ones they will lend accolades to when you are purchasing.. they move fluidly between retail value, and wholesale- citing retail for the purchase, and wholesale for the trade.. they will use KBB/NADA when it benefits them, but fall back on 'market demand' when it doesn't..

they are well versed in getting your cash.. and that is their aim..

if you're buying used, slow your roll and determine what you're looking for precisely.. then keep your eyes open for the right one to come on the market.. It could take upwards of a year.. if you do this though, you will be much happier than going the other route and letting some slick salesman tell YOU what YOU want.. (and leaving you to think it was your idea to begin with)..

also, if at all possible, deal with a private sale.. You can talk to the previous owner and size him up.. get a look at how he maintains his 'other' vehicle (the one he's not selling).. see if he takes care of his property.. talk to him about the history of the rig.. look the rig over while asking questions, and see if everything you hear adds up with what you see.. HE IS MOST LIKELY NOT TRAINED AND/OR PRACTICED TO DIVERT YOUR ATTENTION TO SOMETHING ELSE (in his favor) WHILST YOUR WHEELIN' and DEALIN'..

and, about the brands- ALL vehicles have issues.. I'd rather deal with a blown plenum on a dodge than I would acidic paint on a chevy.. for one: you don't need specialized equipment and space to fix the plenum, and second: you'll feel more like a damn man with grease and oil up to your elbows than you would hiding behind a plastic sheet with a respirator on... your choice though..

and one parting shot: I own the dodge I have now because the v6 F150 I owned prior didn't have ***** enough to yank a travel trailer around.. it was a 2004 standard cab swb.. I bought it in 2003 for 14k, and sold it in 2006ish for 13k.. a buddy just bought one dang near identical this past month for 7k.. if you don't need brawn, you can find a good deal.. how much is that machismo worth to you?

I'm not sure, but after having read that I've decided that you are a certifiable bad-***.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
mac208x
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I spent $2,500 on my 2001 Ram from a private seller.
96' for 500$ good overall condition (i see this year go in worse condition for 2k-3k and even 4k)

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'm not sure, but after having read that I've decided that you are a certifiable bad-***.

well sir, I'm a certifiable dumb *** too, because I've no clue what that means..

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good post drew (the long one) so true. my employees always fall for that crap. no problem for me cause I know they will show up for work to help pay for that overpriced s-box, circle of life stuff i guess.....

Quick Reply: Deal or No Deal?