2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped! 5.2 runs rough, backfires then stalls...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stumped! 5.2 runs rough, backfires then stalls...

Ok, heres what I got. Fall of 09 my show truck started runing like **** for a few weeks then quit while loading it into the trailer. So all I did was roll it into my dads pole barn and sat while I've been building my new garage. Anyways went to fire it up last fall and wouldn't turn over turns out my seal on my fuel cell was bad which alowed water to get in it and burn up the pump and from siting the cylinders locked up from rust. 2 weeks of soaking they freed up. New fuel pump, injectors, fuel rails, cap, rotor, plugs and it still runs like **** so I cut the exhaust off thinking it might be the cat but nope.

As of right now it starts, runs rough backfires then dies. Makes a loud sucking sound through the Tb, I can try to smother the TB but it doesn't die...checked out all vacuum lines, pcv valves, double checked my fuel pressure, pulled and cleaned IAC, did a compression check incase I had a valve sticking (150-160 on all cylinders).

So right now I'm stumped!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

check the TPS, make sure it is within range.

If that's ok, might consider replacing cam or crank position sensor. Or both....

Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

I'll give that a try in the morning. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Dodger_Ryan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did that work for ya? i have a 00 ram that was doing the same thing, so i pulled the motor and tranny (tranny was out of an earlier year, didnt have OD had to have my old one rebuilt anyways) and now im kinda stumped.. dont really wanna crack the motor open myself, never done internals on a motor before

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

Re-ran the plug wires for the third time to make sure, new TPS today, tripple checked fuel pressure 43/45 at the fuel pump today (work nights). Starts and idles decent then stumbles and konks out with a hard time restarting. Exhaust is currently out getting ceramic coated right now so could the lack of flow to the O2 be causing this? Gonna replace the crank and cam sensors tomorrow.

PS theres only 36k on the truck.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

O2 sensor should have nothing to do with it.

Have you cleaned your throttle body yet? I would do that before going after cam and crank sensors.... might just be the IAC passage is clogged up.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

No, throttle body hasn't came off for a cleaning yet. Are the gaskets available at the local auto parts store?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. a whopping two bucks.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM
SvrdRam
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. a whopping two bucks.
Definitely coming off tomorrow morning thats for sure!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 AM
SvrdRam
Rookie

Well haven't had any time to work on the truck since I went on 12hr days for work. But I did take it for a ride around the block (open headers and all) she's still sluggish and stalled while costing and under braking. This keeps leading me to think theres a vac leak that I can't find or my plenum gasket went bad??? After it stalls half the time it will start fine the other I have to baby the throttle....I'm so lost!

Quick Reply: Stumped! 5.2 runs rough, backfires then stalls...