2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft is in, 2 year ordeal over.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well,

Everybody likes numbers, right?

Just took it to the Dyno today. The numbers are below. Sean actually tweaked the tune just a bit more after the last run as the range up top was just a hair lean. Should make a hair more power (maybe 2-3HP)

Here's the breakdown by RPM in 50RPM increments:

That's with the stock transmission and converter. I'm looking for data on the % amount slop in the stock driveline. Perhaps a better torque converter can put more to the wheels.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 08-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
yellowdog87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Yr Cam install and troubleshooting as well

How far is too far to push the cam in?

Today~Dodge 318, mine by mistake went to the gear collar, hope I did not push freeze plug out or any distance, didn't look to be out and I saw some oil in back laying in bottom edge of hole? Any clues?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Whoops just checked in and saw this.

The cam will engage with the gear drive on the distributor drive shaft, so it'll never walk itself too far back in operation, just don't jam it in there and knock out the Welch plug in the back. If you slide it in to line up with the front bearings, that should be fine. The thrust plate in the front keeps it from walking out forward.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
yellowdog87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Cam install

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Whoops just checked in and saw this.

The cam will engage with the gear drive on the distributor drive shaft, so it'll never walk itself too far back in operation, just don't jam it in there and knock out the Welch plug in the back. If you slide it in to line up with the front bearings, that should be fine. The thrust plate in the front keeps it from walking out forward.
Totally get all that, just wondering if cam gear going to the hole is too far?
In other words the cam gear is too large to go through the hole in the back of the block, but if you are touching up against the block "with" the gearing on the cam have you already gone too far? Its an aftermarket cam so every cam may be a little longer or shorter, the extension at the end of the cam (the one that would touch the Welch plug) may or may not touch the plug or actually knock it out? Mentioned before that I did see oil in the plug hole and well looked dark, but guess no daylight would come in until the trans is dropped, find out if it leaks in the end. After its all together and running. Heads on and valve adjustment today, shade tree DYI fashion.

Quick Reply: Camshaft is in, 2 year ordeal over.