2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission - Needs Help Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canela
MonteC, I appreciate your reply. I plan on dropping my pan this weekend and seeing what's going on under there. If a band check/adjustment doesn't work, do you think it would be a good idea to have a pressure sensor on hand?

I've noticed lately as I've been studying the shifting problem that it's struggling from 1-2 much more often than a hiccup from 2-3. In fact, in the last few days I've not had a single problem from 2-3 and when it does shift its solid with no slipping at all. Going uphill if I try to force a kickdown it really does get ugly though - pretty much throwing me in 4000+ RPMs and god only knows what gear. Takes a very gentle foot on the pedal to drive my truck.
Ive never seen a governor solenoid or sensor make the transmission slip. If the band adjustment doesnt help, you may have other internal problems.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
canela
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
Ive never seen a governor solenoid or sensor make the transmission slip. If the band adjustment doesnt help, you may have other internal problems.
Will drop the pan and check the adjustment on both bands, along with the fluid and general condition of the transmission this weekend and report back from there.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Your problems are way worse than what I had going on. But I do know that at 100k on my 02 Dakota I changed out ATF to Royal Purple & a bottle of Trans X (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=289171) and some funny shifting stuff I had going on (a motivator for a fluid & filter change) stopped entirely. YMMV but might buy you some time while your figuring this thing out. My transmission was still going trouble free at 115K when I traded it in.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Just my opinion I would never waste my money on trans x, lucas, dr.tranny, ect. If it says stop leak or stop slip and transmission on the same bottle, run.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonteC
Just my opinion I would never waste my money on trans x, lucas, dr.tranny, ect. If it says stop leak or stop slip and transmission on the same bottle, run.
He's the pro so I'd probably listen to him. I've still got plenty of learning to do. I do often hear "mystery bottle" warnings and so I am always weary of mystery bottles. But a "real" mechanic said the Trans X was good but not to mess with anything else. So I went ahead and used it, but still he was a generic mechanic, not at transmission shop.

Hope I didn't cause any trouble, was just sharing what had worked for me in the past.

Sounds like the the ATF fluid & filter change might have been all I needed?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
He's the pro so I'd probably listen to him. I've still got plenty of learning to do. I do often hear "mystery bottle" warnings and so I am always weary of mystery bottles. But a "real" mechanic said the Trans X was good but not to mess with anything else. So I went ahead and used it, but still he was a generic mechanic, not at transmission shop.

Hope I didn't cause any trouble, was just sharing what had worked for me in the past.

Sounds like the the ATF fluid & filter change might have been all I needed?
Sometimes that stuff works, but its just like putting a band aid over a crack in a dam. Problem is those products cause more harm than good. More parts have to be replaced then originally needed because the crap in that bottle breaks down and just sludge's up over time.

Ive had to replace valvebodies, pumps and once an entire unit because that crap wouldnt come out.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM
canela

Well, I ended up totally losing 2nd gear for the most part prior to getting the chance to take a look at things myself. Found out a local transmission shop down the road from work is very highly regarded around here (unlike the dealer I bought the truck from I learned after the fact)... so I'm letting him take a go at it under warranty. He also quoted me a price for fluid/filter/band adjustment/scan that I couldn't really beat since I needed to pick up some torque wrenches to do the job myself.

Here's to hoping it's still just a band issue.... I'm driving my husband's '96 GMC Sierra in the meantime

Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
canela

Well, resolution for anyone having similar problems:

Turns out I totally lost the intermediate band friction lining and the front clutch retainer....which when it shattered, reclogged up the governor solenoid again. Rebuild time.

Waiting on the adjuster from my warranty company to be dispatched for photos, but my local shop isn't anticipating any problems getting the repair approved. Good thing too, because I was looking at around $2,000.

Guess that warranty just paid for itself!

(Now the bad part is my backup vehicle I'm driving while I wait on my Dodge is my husband's '96 GMC Sierra - which is now starting to exhibit transmission problems...it won't shift down back into first after it makes it's first series of upshifts. I have to manually force it into 1st, and then it feels gutless like a 4cyl even with the pedal to the floor.)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Jealous of the attention the dodge is getting?

Trans in the GMC is pure electronic shift, are you getting a check engine light at all?

Quick Reply: Transmission - Needs Help Shifting?