2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission - Needs Help Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM
canela
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission - Needs Help Shifting?

Ok, so the strange quirks of my "new" '00 Ram are getting worse.

TPS and IAC sensors fixed the odd hunting/surging for RPMs in park/neutral, but the transmission itself is now giving me problems. Needing some input before this gets really expensive.

Before, it was very sluggish to upshift - going high 3,500+ RPMs before grabbing the next gear even with a very light throttle application, but it would catch the gear on it's own. Now? Now it needs "help" with me bumping it into neutral and back to drive to force it to shift. That's worked for around a week, but now it's not always wanting to grab the gear. Seems to be 3rd gear usually (occassionally 2nd) and usually worse by FAR when I'm driving up a hill. Now it seems to rev into neutral even before I try to "help" it...and sometimes gets stuck there. So far not bad enough to cause me to pull over, but it's gotten close. I can usually force it back down to 2nd and then pop it into drive to get it back into gear at that point.

I just got off the phone with my local Dodge dealer that actually sold the truck to the original owner. It got a govenor pressure solenoid less than 3k miles ago from either a home mechanic or another tranmission shop...it was a Mopar part only ticket.

That was the only thing I could think of to try next, and come to find out it's already been done. I'm about to go to war with the selling dealer, but I suspect I'm going to end up eating this nightmare in the end....and now I know the truck was traded specifically due to it's transmission problems.

Any ideas on what it could possibly be? Help??

Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

There is also a pressure sensor in there with the solenoid. If the sensor wasn't changed, that might be your problem.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
canela

Wouldn't a sensor malfunction cause a code to set? OBDII is clear, no CEL at all.

I should also mention as I'm reading some things deep in the forums (thanks Google) that something I thought was a little odd but didn't think anything about it also occuring. It feels like I have an engine brake at all times. I drive a tractor trailer through, so that sensation wasn't really odd to me, but you know what, I don't ever remember my Dakota feeling like that at all. It's been that way since the day I bought the truck.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

That would probably be TCC not disengaging as it should.

And no, the pressure sensor would not necessarily throw a code...... In all honesty, I am not entirely sure just what it would take for the PCM to determine either part is bad...... sometimes, I wonder if it really even cares.....

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
JackJ
Captain

Sounds a bit like a valve body taking a dump, but replacing the sensors would be cheaper to do but a new valve body come with all new ones.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
canela

Originally Posted by HeyYou
...I am not entirely sure just what it would take for the PCM to determine either part is bad...... sometimes, I wonder if it really even cares.....
That's the truth

I would assume I should be able to find a way to test that pressure sensor or the valve body rather than just throw parts at the truck? My local Dodge dealer didn't exactly inspire lots of confidence, and they're backed up anyway. I'm to the point I'd almost rather do it myself and know first hand what's been done to it. Guess it's time to learn auto transmissions (or just buy a 5 speed and do a conversion!)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by canela
That's the truth

I would assume I should be able to find a way to test that pressure sensor or the valve body rather than just throw parts at the truck? My local Dodge dealer didn't exactly inspire lots of confidence, and they're backed up anyway. I'm to the point I'd almost rather do it myself and know first hand what's been done to it. Guess it's time to learn auto transmissions (or just buy a 5 speed and do a conversion!)

The valve body justs drops down, I think there is like five bolts, Google 46re valve body replacement, there was a good write up with pictures on another forum. To replace the sensors you have to drop the VB any way. Also doing a conversion would cost way more then it would to just go to PATC and buy a new and better tranny.

To do the swap you basically need a donor truck with a 5 speed, for the PCM wiring harnes, trans, and clutch assembly including the pedal and Hydraulic cylinder.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJ
The valve body justs drops down, I think there is like five bolts, Google 46re valve body replacement, there was a good write up with pictures on another forum. To replace the sensors you have to drop the VB any way. Also doing a conversion would cost way more then it would to just go to PATC and buy a new and better tranny.

To do the swap you basically need a donor truck with a 5 speed, for the PCM wiring harnes, trans, and clutch assembly including the pedal and Hydraulic cylinder.
Stop, stop, stop. Why are we pulling the valvebody? The vb has 10 bolts that hold it in btw. No you do NOT have to drop the valvebody to replace the sensor and solenoid. You only need to drop the vb to change the o/d and tcc solenoids.

Check your bands first, make sure the 2nd band is properly adjusted and in good shape.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM
canela

Originally Posted by MonteC
Check your bands first, make sure the 2nd band is properly adjusted and in good shape.
MonteC, I appreciate your reply. I plan on dropping my pan this weekend and seeing what's going on under there. If a band check/adjustment doesn't work, do you think it would be a good idea to have a pressure sensor on hand?

I've noticed lately as I've been studying the shifting problem that it's struggling from 1-2 much more often than a hiccup from 2-3. In fact, in the last few days I've not had a single problem from 2-3 and when it does shift its solid with no slipping at all. Going uphill if I try to force a kickdown it really does get ugly though - pretty much throwing me in 4000+ RPMs and god only knows what gear. Takes a very gentle foot on the pedal to drive my truck.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Bob1500

http://www.scribd.com/doc/228727/Dod...Service-Manual nice transmission guide. heres a nice place for parts http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...arts_s/189.htm
best walk through on rebuild i found http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...torial-911009/
It is a very easy transmission to rebuild i bought a junk truck first to try it out before i did the 1 in my DD. im still working out small issues but have a good feeling i made the right choice doing myself.
and you can beef it up as much or as little as you want.
when you get past the intimidation of the valve body its a walk in the park (mines still not working right lol) but im close to perfection and a nice shifting transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission - Needs Help Shifting?