2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission questions

i have a 96 1500 5.9l and recently it have been shifting weird, so i checked my fluid and found it really low. the whole pan is covered in transmission fluid and is dripping mostly from under the dip stick. but i recently put in a neutral safety switch so not sure if maybe could leak from there and travel in cracks to drip. any clues, also was wondering where i could find a re manufactured transmission and engine (incase the tranny is to hurt than ill replace engine at same time.)

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Get your trans from here, if you end up needing one. Or, see if there is a reputable rebuilder nearby.....

Probably leaking from the seal around the dipstick tube, and/or around the pan gasket. Might be able to just tighten up the bolts on the pan some to stop that leak. There is either an o-ring, or grommet for the dipstick.

Being low on fluid will indeed make it shift funny. Only use ATF +4.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray the trans down with a can of brake clean, blow it dry with an air gun. Start the truck and let it run, watch for leaks. If no leaks, turn the truck off and let it sit, watch for leaks.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 PM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well followed your instructions and found the grommet around dipstick was broken, replaced and so far no more leaks. i guess i have to say this heyyou you were right (hug). thanks and hope that is the only leak.

Quick Reply: transmission questions