2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

4.7 Motors are a good design BUT Among other problems-the port holes aren't big enough in the older models and they don't last. They loose oil pressure and they get crappy gas mileage.. I Loved my Dakota Quad Cab Hemi, It was great on gas had plenty of power and drove like a car..

Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM
98ramowner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
The 360 Transmission won't bolt to the new Hemi Motors . They make an adapter plate to install the Hemi to the 727 . The 45-rfe and 5-45-rfe transmissions bolt to the Hemi and the 4.7 liter motors, Which 4.7s ARE Over head Cam V-8s...
well i thought i had read before that the new hemis had the same bellhousing bolt pattern as all mopar small blocks, just did a quick search first couple sites support that they do, heres a quote "All 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi’s use the exact same bellhousing bolt pattern as any small block mopar. The only bolt it does not use is the hole at the 12 o’clock position."
also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...using_patterns claims they have the same pattern aswell. Also i have yet to see an adapter plate for the hemi to 727. PATC sells "#HF1. SFI flexplate to replace your 45RFE / 545RFE transmission with a 518 / 727 transmission on late model 5.7 and 6.1 liter Hemi motors. There are far more performance parts available for a 518 transmission than a 45RFE. Cost $129.00" just a flex plate not an adapter plate. I have heard here before that they don't bolt up, but from what i have read elsewhere, including when they first released, that the hemi's would share the bellhousing bolt pattern to help simplify swaps into older mopars. Now that does not mean it would work with the computer controled trans in our trucks just that it should bolt together. So I still believe what i have read most everywhere else that they do share the bellhousing bolt pattern.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I think I noted , that a 727 would bolt to a Hemi but you have to use an adapter plate "OK" Flex plate , The reason is for the starter. Unless the person knows exactly how to notch his out to make the old starter work .Stock ones won't..
What I don't know for sure is if the 46RH trans will bolt to a Hemi. "I thought"That was the transmissions used behind most 360 trucks from 89-93. I could be wrong.
The problems people run into trying to save a dollar on a old transmission are more than the flex plate. The kick down linkage is another major problem. Then the wiring , dipstick exc.... Most people looking for answers on these sights Myself included,, are looking to save money with DIY projects. They don't have $5000.00 to pay speed shops to special make their wiring harnesses.
So I guess the answer to the mans question, from me anyway would be I don't know if his 360 transmission will bolt to a Hemi, I've always heard it wont. "But I will find out"..

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 AM
98ramowner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the 46rh is a a518 basically which is a 727 with an overdrive. I am not sure what you mean by the starter notching, from what i am reading is "The original starter location on a 5.7/6.1 is on the passenger side but luckily Ma Mopar notched the block so we can mount it on the driver side for our application" I also am seeing some people using a mini starter on the passenger side in some jeep applications and that the old 727 starters work.

either way i am pretty sure it would bolt up with the proper flex plate, but it just won't work since the 46re the op has needs computer inputs. So gettting the trans the hemi came with would be necessary for him. Still building 5.9 magnum would be his cheapest/easiest route.

here is a link to an efi hemi swap into a 71 cuda that had a built 360 before. the poster adresses the kick down linkage and dipstick tube problemshttp://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...an=&page=&vc=1 there are also pre made wiring harnesses out there for hemi swaps. a carbed hemi definitely seems like an easier conversion for the older mopars.

when you said an adapter plate i thought you meant a bellhousing adapter. not trying to step on any toes just passing on what i have read. clearly you know more about 4.7 which i know zero about. Hopefully we will all learn something new from this.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I put 5.7 Hemi in a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab. My Thread is called Hemi Dakota Swap With Pics . It has a lot of detail..I'm starting a 1987 Wrangler Hemi Swap tomorrow..The problem people have with the pre-made wiring harnesses and the Carb conversions from places like FAST- is the cost. Wiring harnesses with there computer setups start at about $3000.00 carbs aren't bad, but they want $900. for an intake manifold.I show people how to get by with what they have or can get reasonably . I think the re-introduction of the Hemi was one of the best moves Dodge has made since Richard Petty. There Great Motors . Cutting out 4 cylinders was stupid, But you can't beat'em..Check my build.All the work was done by me, By myself , in the yard.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'll just have the motor rebuilt and upgrade from there. What kind of mods would ya'll make to the motor to achieve more horsepower? My father in law suggested boring it .30 over.

I plan to keep this truck for a good while and would do this during tax refund season so it would be going to a shop for a "proper" rebuild. I don't wanna go crazy like turbo and super chargers.

Cold air intake would be one and a good dual exhaust setup. Perhaps an oversized Cam?

Suggestions?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Cam.
.030 over if you have to...
Better heads.... (that can tolerate the lift of your cam... bigger valves if you want to have more upper RPM power than down low.)
Intake manifold....
Headers, free flowing exhaust.
If you are feelin' really free and easy with the checkbook, maybe some port matching, and head cleanup.
Custom tune to make it all work well together.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't bolt up. I had a 360 with 46RE and I put a 03 Hemi into my truck as was mentioned the computer won't shift the transmission also. If you are going to do the swap ditch the 46RE and get a 545RFE it bolts to the stock transmission mount. Keep in mind it is not an easy swap. I will help if you have an questions as will HemiDak-Quad he is the wiring guru of the hemi. The hemi is a good engine but more than anything the 545rfe is a good transmission.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

AMEN Brother..

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Question