2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission temp/od off lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 PM
mayleesa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission temp/od off lights

I have 2001 Dodge Ram 4WD and the trans temp light and od off light come on and off independtly of each other sometimes staying on, going right off, coming on.....it throws me out of OD each time and then it kicks back in....i recently had my transmission flushed and filled thinking it might help...a friend mentioned the sensor may be going bad....

my question is how hard is it to find the sensor and replace it. i'm a girl but not afraid to get dirty but am good enough to be told it's over my head....

if you do know how to fix it could you include a picture of what i may be looking for in the how to......thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Before going after the sensor, have a look at the trans lines up by the radiator. On the line that goes to the lower fitting, there is a metal part about an inch and a half long. That feller is a check valve. They are notorious for clogging up, and not allowing ANY flow, so, your trans gets hot. There are a couple DIY's in the FAQ section for how to eliminate it. I went with the hose, and a couple clamps method, and that works fine.

If that doesn't make a difference.... then ya may wanna go after the temp sensor. I am poking thru the service manual looking for it, but, it isn't jumping up and down screaming HERE I AM!!! So, I am having a bit of trouble finding it.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Ah, the temp sensor is part of the pressure sensor. Neat. If you need to change it, it's easy to find.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM
mayleesa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks i'm gonna go check that valve out now!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, the temp sensor is part of the pressure sensor. Neat. If you need to change it, it's easy to find.
Yep, yep. Easy.

Quick Reply: transmission temp/od off lights