2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0420 after non-fouler trick and cat removed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Only the downstream O2, if you have a pre-cat O2 CEL you have a different problem...

Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdodge97
Is the non-fouler trick used on both 02 sensors or only on the one after the cat?

I got the magnaflow cat yesterday and need to do this trick still.

You most likely won't have to do this with the newer Magnaflow cat. The older 94000 series had issues a few years back. The 96000 series should not require this trick.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
bigdodge97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks zman. I will leave it as is right now unless i get a code.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Post cat O2 sensor only.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdodge97
thanks zman. I will leave it as is right now unless i get a code.
Yea try it first without.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would try the Magnaflow without doing this. Mine never set off a code in the week or so I ran it with the rear O2 sensor. I just needed a new O2 sensor, or actually was replacing it as a maintenance item and decided to use the Fastman O2Simm instead so that I never had to worry about it again.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
dodge fan 001
Amateur

1 thing on this.Does it affect the runability of the engine. run worse , better rich, lean? Just wondering because I keep blowin them I have a empty cat 95 ram 360 mag. any input? and thx

Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM
ChristinaTucci
Default Non fouler sensor for 2001 durango

Would any know what size O2 Non Fouler size I would need for a 2001 Durango 4.7L Engine??

Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM
uspatriot1960

Question related to the non foulers. Truck is a 2003 Ram 1500 with the 360 in it. I was getting a P0420 for a while. Needed to get things ready to pass emissions in Georgia. I tried one non fouler with some steel wool in it and the code popped up again. Added a 2nd non fouler with steel wool. Been driving for a week now and the Catalyst Monitor is still incomplete. Have driven a 120 mile trip on the highway and 3 - 60 mile round trips. Also a little around town driving. Still lists the Catalyst Monitor incomplete. At least I am not getting the P0420, but I won't pass emissions until all monitors are complete.

Any idea why it would be taking so long to get this monitor to pass? I would have thought it would send some kind of code if something was not right and it seems like the truck has been driven enough to have been through a complete drive cycle. I'm a little stumped at this point. Any ideas or experiences are appreciated.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USpatriot "Any idea why it would be taking so long to get this monitor to pass? I would have thought it would send some kind of code if something was not right and it seems like the truck has been driven enough to have been through a complete drive cycle. I'm a little stumped at this point. Any ideas or experiences are appreciated." Quote

I had similar miles on after changing the battery a week or so before having the van inspected last april here in California, still mine wasn't ready and failed 1st time. I searched this drive cycle and did it the following morning and also checked this time on my el cheapo code reader and it check out as IM/ready. Sure enough it passed this time.
Choose a good highway where it's safe to do this and the 2 times where you decelerate no touch the brake pedal but you can use the parking brake to aid in slowing but if there's room behind you and ahead just coast it .

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE

Suppose you have "fixed" an emissions problem on an OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what is called an "OBDII drive cycle."
The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you have erased any trouble codes from the PCM memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system monitors so that subsequent faults can be detected.
The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).
NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.
2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.
4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.
5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.
6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge

Last edited by JFloors; 10-09-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: directing to uspatriot

Quick Reply: P0420 after non-fouler trick and cat removed