2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram cranks, but won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 AM
bigred83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram cranks, but won't turn over

My 2000 Ram 1500 3.9 was running well, but it had a small leak from the water pump. I went to replace the pump and found that that I had to replace the serpentine belt and thermostat also. I replaced all three without a problem and when I went to start the engine, it wouldn't turn over.

It cranks, but just won't start. I ran the code and pulled up an error on the camshaft sensor. First off- I have NO IDEA why the camshaft sensor would have an issue as we were nowhere near it.

Anyways, I replaced the distributor cap, ignition rotor, and the camshaft sensor, but it still won't turn over. Now it cranks at a higher rate, but still no go. At this point the only thing I have left to replace under the camshaft code (that I can think of) is the distributor itself. The last thing I want to keep doing is funneling money into it if I'm going in the wrong direction.

Anyone have an issue like this before??

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

I had a similar thing happen recently... It'd fire off then nothing... the fix was crazy simple, I put in injector cleaner in it... so will yours fire and die or just won't fire at all???

Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 AM
bigred83

Unfortunately it's not firing at all. Injector cleaner can only help its overall performance but I don't think it'd help the current issue- I'm thinking it's electrical. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 AM
chadwall
Professional

What about if u floor it and start it? My iac sensor went out and it wouldn't fire at all. Cleaned sensor and it'd run if floored, replaced and it runs great.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Been a while since I did a v6 so I don't know if it has the same configuration as far as grounds go, but, on the v8 there are ground wires that mount to one of the power steering bracket bolts. Make sure it's connected. Check all ground wires for that matter.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Brent Jones
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah check the ground wires. I just had the front of my 3.9 off and when you take the big bracket that holds the compressor and the alternator you have to unhook a ground. Make sure you hooked it back up.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
hunttut

Hi. New to this forum and experiencing a similar problem with a friend's 04 Ram 1500 4.7L. Recently had a catastrophic water pump failure that took out the serpentine belt. Water pump was replaced and everything appeared to be turning normally, but the truck would just crank and not start. Thought 4 year old battery might be tired so that was replaced. No help. Checked for spark at the coil packs. Appears good. Pulled plugs. Badly needed to be replaced (worn electrodes and way outta gap). Still nothing. Fuel pump is running, injectors sound like they are firing, but no go. Various sensors come to mind, but don't really no the ins and outs of which one's to check. No sensor codes on the OBD. Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hunttut
Hi. New to this forum and experiencing a similar problem with a friend's 04 Ram 1500 4.7L. Recently had a catastrophic water pump failure that took out the serpentine belt. Water pump was replaced and everything appeared to be turning normally, but the truck would just crank and not start. Thought 4 year old battery might be tired so that was replaced. No help. Checked for spark at the coil packs. Appears good. Pulled plugs. Badly needed to be replaced (worn electrodes and way outta gap). Still nothing. Fuel pump is running, injectors sound like they are firing, but no go. Various sensors come to mind, but don't really no the ins and outs of which one's to check. No sensor codes on the OBD. Any ideas?
Put your post in the 3rd gen section, maybe some one there has had a similar experience. However, it doesn't sound good to me. How bad did it overheat?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Jw98
Question 98 Ram died suddenly,now will not start

Hello,I am new here and I hope I'm in the right area.My wife was driving my truck the other day and floored it to pass someone.The truck died suddenly like someone turned the ignition off.It will not start,it will turnover.The fuel pump kicks on,the plugs,wires,cap and rotor all good.I've replaced the cranshaft sensor,the IAC,checked all my fuses.starting fluid does not help.Fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago,truck is a 1998 1500 2wd has the 360 with 200K miles.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check and see if you are getting spark. (probably not....)

Does the fuel pump run while cranking?

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram cranks, but won't turn over