2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 RAM 1500 Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
nokaoii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 95 RAM 1500 Radio question

I have a 1995 RAM 1500 SLT normal cab. It has the factory stereo in it with tape deck. I think it might be a bit of an upgrade from the basic radio, but it's just a default factory radio.

It stopped working the other day. I checked the fuse on the fuse panel and it is fine. When I turn on my headlights the stereo's backlight illuminates. But the time is not displayed on the radio in OFF mode and the radio does not turn ON or function at all.

This happened from one day to the next so I thought for sure it would be a fuse issue. My question is, does anyone know if the 12 volt wire leading to the radio has an in-line fuse on it? I'd like to know before ripping into the dash. Hoping someone knows for sure.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No inline fuse that I know of. Does everything else work on the truck?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
nokaoii

Yup everything else is fine. I had a blown fuse for the auto-door locks, but replaced that.

Crud, if no in-line fuse I guess the radio just up and died.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

After you pull it out, trace /check the power and ground wires with a meter to make sure you don't have a bad one.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
nokaoii

Indeed. I hope it's just simply the radio itself crapped out and not a skinned, burnt or otherwise shorted wire. Then again if I can find it and repair that simply enough I would be happy too.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

If you do a search around here, you'll find a 95 or 96 manual for download. Or a Haynes might have the wire diagram in it for that.

Found them, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Last edited by zman17; 08-17-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
mac208x
Rookie

your radio is fried/dead and you can take it out and throw it out. get a basic aftermarket radio and pop it in and it will work. I had the same thing going on with mine, it was "on" but the only thing it displayed was a dash so i took it out put my jvc from my camry and it works perfectly!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you change it out for a new radio get the wiring harness and mounting plate from crutchfield.They give you excellent diagrams for removing your dash and wiring the radio up.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Crutchfield is a great place to shop. They aren't always the cheapest, but they more than make up for it by including the dash kit and wiring harness imo. You can wire them in without the wiring harness, but imo it's much better to use the harness incase you ever want to remove it.

That being said, I'd bet your radio died, but a simple way to check it is to pull it out and check both the constant power wire and the power wire tied to the ignition to make sure they both are getting power. If they are, you radio is dead. If it was the wires shorted out, it should have blown a fuse. Since it didn't it's my guess that it's the radio.

That being said, if it is the wire it would probably be easier to cut it so no power goes through it and then just run a new wire. I've had to run new wires for a stereo in a few cases, and it's much easier than finding one with a problem in a harness of 50 wires.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by nokaoii
I have a 1995 RAM 1500 SLT normal cab. It has the factory stereo in it with tape deck. I think it might be a bit of an upgrade from the basic radio, but it's just a default factory radio.

It stopped working the other day. I checked the fuse on the fuse panel and it is fine. When I turn on my headlights the stereo's backlight illuminates. But the time is not displayed on the radio in OFF mode and the radio does not turn ON or function at all.

This happened from one day to the next so I thought for sure it would be a fuse issue. My question is, does anyone know if the 12 volt wire leading to the radio has an in-line fuse on it? I'd like to know before ripping into the dash. Hoping someone knows for sure.
My 94 with a tape deck did the same thing, when i bought the truck it didnt work, but before i got to getting a new one it started working again, and it would then just cut out sometimes and act like it had no power at all because the time wouldnt even display, idk what was wrong with it other than maybe it got really hot at one point.

so i got one at a junkyard and it works great now

Quick Reply: 95 RAM 1500 Radio question