2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Latest Dodge DOAHH!, Mopar Addicted!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Why would you want to pay almost 900 bucks a head, when you can get basically the same thing, for under 300????? Depending on what cam you go with, you might need to change valve springs, but, still, that is NOT going to make up for the price difference.

No need for plenum plate with the air gap. That is a large part of the appeal. (that, and it flows better than the stocker. )

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
shminister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the air GAP intake solves that problem! I went back to the Hughes site and looked at the heads, I must be "corn fused" I thought it was $885.00 for the complete set of heads. I will check out Odessa and Clearwater again. My "loyal friend" is trying to convince me to cut my loses and sell the whole thing, BUT I do like a challenge and Projects are my HOBBY!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 PM
shminister
Default Updated Dodge DOAHH!, Mopar Addicted!!

Well Just begun taking the engine down! Removed TB, Alt, all front engine stuff! Worse problem is the electrical connections. The left head apparently has had a slow leaking head gasket. There was moisture vapor stains on the valve cover! Ordered new heads, Hughs Plentum plate, New Double Roller Chain Kit, Throttle Body Plate, Thermostat, Gasket Sets, New Bolts for the heads, intake and Water Pump. Also going to drop the Trannie pan, replace the filter and seals. Probably going to adjust the bands a little. Looking forward to get BIG MO! back on the road!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shminister
Well Just begun taking the engine down! Removed TB, Alt, all front engine stuff! Worse problem is the electrical connections. The left head apparently has had a slow leaking head gasket. There was moisture vapor stains on the valve cover! Ordered new heads, Hughs Plentum plate, New Double Roller Chain Kit, Throttle Body Plate, Thermostat, Gasket Sets, New Bolts for the heads, intake and Water Pump. Also going to drop the Trannie pan, replace the filter and seals. Probably going to adjust the bands a little. Looking forward to get BIG MO! back on the road!
Do you mean a TB spacer? If so you are wasting your $$$$ they do nothing for these trucks.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Double roller timing set. (this one gave my 165000 mile motor a nice bump in power, the original was stretched pretty bad)
This is interesting to me. Recommendation on where to obtain for 5.9L 360? I came up with the following on Summit

All 3 of them say similar Notes

Will not fit factory roller camshaft applications, 6.125 in. standard center distance.
Translation please?

Edit: is this one from Hughes Double Roller? It appears so, but the text does not mention or I've just plain missed it.

Thanks much

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 09-13-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added hughes
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are some pretty expensive timing chains. I went mopar parts have a look at this link for some info and prices. I have been very happy with all the mopar parts I have ordered.

http://www.mopartsracing.com/index.html

Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 AM
shminister
Cool

Double Roller is a "supposedly" stronger set than a single. I am just enjoying the fix. For most it all about the verbage you can add to your profile, some the experiment/experience I did find several to fit this 2001 Ram Sport 4x4 5.2 magnum (318). I have heard both yes and no on the Throttle body spacer, plate, yadda yah, but decided well ya don't know till you (meaning me) till you try it. Got a good price on one so, "hey why not"! if it helps, great! otherwise it will just be a cool looking spacer under the TB.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shminister
Double Roller is a "supposedly" stronger set than a single. I am just enjoying the fix. For most it all about the verbage you can add to your profile, some the experiment/experience I did find several to fit this 2001 Ram Sport 4x4 5.2 magnum (318). I have heard both yes and no on the Throttle body spacer, plate, yadda yah, but decided well ya don't know till you (meaning me) till you try it. Got a good price on one so, "hey why not"! if it helps, great! otherwise it will just be a cool looking spacer under the TB.

must be nice to have money to waste. those things dont work on our engines and will just become a paper weight.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
shminister
Thumbs down

Don't work as in, want fit, does not add any difference to air intake? Come on guys you gotta give me more than "want work"! Oh and one's waste is usually another's Hobby! UNLESS OF COURSE the don't work means wont fit! LOL. I think someone else's mods might be a waste but consider it that person's hobby and if they are happy with it IF it just don't fit, I think it is a cool paper weight to remind me that nobody told me "hey budd, that just don't fit"! GOD BLESS!

Last edited by shminister; 09-13-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I got my timing set at the local advance auto parts, under 50 bucks.

The double roller chain is more accurate, and less prone to stretching than the original morse style chain.

Quick Reply: Latest Dodge DOAHH!, Mopar Addicted!!