2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Latest Dodge DOAHH!, Mopar Addicted!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by shminister
Don't work as in, want fit, does not add any difference to air intake? Come on guys you gotta give me more than "want work"!
TB spacer was originally designed for carbed engines, and later, TB injected engines. The idea was, to add some additional 'swirl' to the incoming air charge to keep the fuel in suspension. Since our trucks are port fuel injected, there is no fuel IN the air charge at that point, to keep in suspension. Therefore, the TB spacer does NOTHING for performance. it just lightens your wallet.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
shminister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY YOU~ thanks for the suggestions earlier, It makes a WHOLE lot of "cents" to do the timing chain, since I am that far in!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
shminister

OKAY!! got the "DON't WORK" reason!!!! WHOOO HOOO! you know my backside does feel a little lighter now and my work bench seems a little bit heavier!! LOL

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I didn't do mine when I did my plenum.... I got to do it a week later, then the timing cover started puking coolant between the cover and the block..... I figgered since I am going to be RIGHT THERE, might just as well change it out. (168,000 miles at the time) I was absolutely amazed at how much better the engine ran afterwards.... I think that was THE best 'upgrade' I have done to the truck so far.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM
shminister
Smile

I,ve considered the plenum mod but think I will just make sure all the ports are just clean and smooth and just leave it as is. Seems like what I am looking for, it will be just fine to leave the plenum as is. It seems fixing the blown gasket with the Hughes Plate upgrade, the double roller timing chain and GEARS (LOL) and HEADS (original prob) will get me where I need BIG MO to be, back in the road and ruts!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
shminister
Unhappy Oh BOY! HELP!!!

I have gotten the Valve Covers, Plenum and JUNK off the engine. I have rebuilt some 318 A series and all I had to do to get the Distributor out was take the bolt and adjustment off and pull the Distributor out. I have done that on this 2001 5.2 Ram Magnum, but it want turn loose. A concern that I also have is due to the leaking head gasket, there is a light coat of rust on the lifters, Push Rods and lifter Bracket. PLEASE Chime in and Give me your suggestions. What to do about the Distributor? Think I need to replace the Lifters, Cam and push rods or will it be ok to just clean them up good? OH MY MY! What fun it is to be on far with MOPAR!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you really even need to pull the dist? If it doesn't HAVE to come out.... Leave it.

Need to have a look at the other parts before condemning them. If it is just surface rust, clean 'em off, and call it good. If there is pitting on important parts (like the rollers on the lifters......) replace them. With the dist in place, you aren't going to be able to remove the cam..... might be able to check it with a dial gauge, if you have one.... make sure you don't have any lobes wiped out. If it was running good previously, shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
shminister

I had drained the oil several weeks ago, I put fresh oil and a filter on it to pull it up into my shop. Had the radiator already out and water drained. It cranked right up, no smoke no knock no ping, Oil Presure 55/60 lbs. It was running good for that few seconds. When I pulled the Keg, AWE! it was as we say her in L.A. (lower alabama) Turaebil TERRIBLE! carbon, red rust color every where, sludge. I am shocked that it ran so well with that mess! Had a hard time with the fuel rail. The attachment lock was broke off up the fuel line and it was a "heifer" to get off! Found a fuel rail line and injectors for a 5.9 in a ram van for 50 bucks! That is why I wondered if they were the same. Just read up on the difference between pressure for 5.9 and 5.2 guess I will just leave it alone.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM
shminister

Gonna Take a Pic of the Valley. Fixing to pull the Heads! OH YEA UH!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM
shminister
Exclamation

Well have left it alone a couple of days! Over whelming! Redneck RAM you were correct, wish I had that 70 $$$ back to go towards an exhaust cross over and Catalitic converter! Oh well. The new parts are in, heads, plenum plate, gaskets, timing chain and gears, head bolts intake bolts timing chain bolts, thermostat, "AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE". any body got a gun to shoot that Partridge? I hope to get excited enough to "gitter done" Sat. Sure do need an exhaust though. I am thinking about taking it to get a custom, got a quote of 325! but would love to find a gently, used one. That slow leaking head sure messed up the exhaust!
HEY YOU, you think I ought to take the oil pain off and flush the valley and ports down out through the bottom or just clean what I can and leave well enough alone?

Quick Reply: Latest Dodge DOAHH!, Mopar Addicted!!