2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oh thank God, a Ram forum not full of idiots.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brakes are solid. New lines and brake booster/master cylinder not too long ago.

The sucking noise mostly occurs when the truck is first started and takes off down the road. It only started doing it after the PO replaced the plenum gasket.

I don't want to replace the rear sensor because I'm told it's been done before by the PO without fixing the problem. I'm going to check voltage with my meter when I get some time, if I can get under there and figure out how...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The sucking noise mostly occurs when the truck is first started and takes off down the road. It only started doing it after the PO replaced the plenum gasket.
Normal. My truck does the same exact thing.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hell of a nice truck for $1800

as said probably dana 60's. you can email dodge and get a build sheet for free. it'll tell you all the options/equipment that it came with. do a search on 'build sheet' for the email.

in addition to in/around the throttle body, consider that the intake gasket might be leaking, especially at the back of the block where the rubber gasket can slide out during reinstall and not be seen. if it is that, a cheap fix is a big smear of rtv along the seam. one last easy fix is the air filter. its surprisingly hard as hell to install and tighten. and as zman said - there is supposed to be a rubber gasket under the air cleaner and it always gets lost. its only $1-2 at any parts store.

no speedo is likely either top of rear diff -rear abs sensor, or tail housing of transmission speed sensor. either is fairly cheap.

adjust steering box to remove excessive play.
is it 4wd - replace track bar with moog from rockauto for about $105

ha, give us a little more time and we'll all be idiots.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

I would be very curious as to what the answer would be. I had my plenum gasket replaced yesterday, and noticed the same thing. I was thinking either airbox gasket or they didn't hook up a vacuum hose.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man its hgard to find a 2500 cheap ! nice find just the axles are worth that ! !

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I'd say $1800 for a decent looking, 4x4, 3/4 ton is a good buy!

Have someone shimmy the steering wheel back and forth maybe 1/8 of a turn and take a look at all of the steering components to pinpoint the slack. The loose joints should be obvious. Don't forget the track bar (as dhvaughan mentioned).

Check your airbox for cracks. Some guys can't read, so the sticker on the front of the airbox goes unnoticed and they try to pry the airbox apart while it's still on the throttle body....

Sorting out the small things is gonna be the pain, but it should be worth it in the end.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 AM
mj23polaris
Professional

i just put all new moog front end parts on my 01 2500 and it cost me almost 500$ for everything, i put it on myself and did a halfass alignment to get me to belle tire, but if i could do it all over again and id go this route

http://thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

For as many miles as it has, it's a very quiet and smooth riding truck. I drive it back and forth to work daily and it's a nice ride. The speedo is driving me crazy, because I've been wanting to figure up my MPGs, and I can't do that reliably without an operating ODO.

I need to get some cash together for a work day, as both front and rear diffs need serviced, along with the Xfer case.

I've gotten a build sheet from my Chrysler dealer before for a Grand Cherokee I had. If I have time I'll run out there today, but I might just try the online one.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Flue
Veteran

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
I've been wanting to figure up my MPGs, and I can't do that reliably without an operating ODO.
If I have time I'll run out there today, but I might just try the online one.
You could use a GPS for your MPG's and Speed for the time being...accurate? Couldn't tell ya. Running two Garmin's side by side and their difference is .6 to 1.1 mph. Check it with a stop watch. lol

The online build sheet will take 2 to 4 days (I think mine took 3) to get a reply.

Other than being white..nice find. Daily driver? either a short commute or just plain crazy.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

I'd much rather have the factory equipment up and and working. A bit silly this is so problematic, but it is a Dodge after all.

I'm just hesitant to start replacing different sensors only to have that not solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Oh thank God, a Ram forum not full of idiots.