2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think I blew my plenum gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Cloak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I blew my plenum gasket

think I blew my plenum gasket on the way home.....got up to about 40mph and punched it, downshifted and started "howling" a little bit....lost ALL ***** and would barely upshift due to lack of power............

would'nt my OTC GeniSys tell me if the plenum gasket was blown by showing the fuel/air ratio to be WAY OFF?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

coulda swore I responded to this....

anyway..... it won't set a specific code, but, if you are running too lean, and the PCM can't compensate, that will set a code. Plenum would have to be REALLY bad for that though.

I suspect you have other issues as well.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM
talthyren
Veteran

The check for plenum blowage (is that a word?) is to remove the air cleaner box, open the throttle plates wide open, and with a flash light look down into the intake. if there is a significant amount of oil pooled, its blown.

If its blown you also need a new Cat and Pre-Cat O2 sensor, as they are quickly destroyed by the problem.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Cloak
Rookie

Originally Posted by talthyren
The check for plenum blowage (is that a word?) is to remove the air cleaner box, open the throttle plates wide open, and with a flash light look down into the intake. if there is a significant amount of oil pooled, its blown.

If its blown you also need a new Cat and Pre-Cat O2 sensor, as they are quickly destroyed by the problem.
yeah I know how to check them....just figured my machine would tell me if the fuel/air ratio was way off

Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Cloak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cloak
yeah I know how to check them....just figured my machine would tell me if the fuel/air ratio was way off
not to mention I only put about 7 miles on it from the "point of F*&K up"

Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloak
think I blew my plenum gasket on the way home.....got up to about 40mph and punched it, downshifted and started "howling" a little bit....lost ALL ***** and would barely upshift due to lack of power............

would'nt my OTC GeniSys tell me if the plenum gasket was blown by showing the fuel/air ratio to be WAY OFF?
LOL, it doesn't "blow" all of a sudden. And NO, your Genisys will NOT tell you if it's blown, I have one also. No scanner will do that.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Cloak
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
LOL, it doesn't "blow" all of a sudden. And NO, your Genisys will NOT tell you if it's blown, I have one also. No scanner will do that.
just figured if I can see the ratio on my GeniSys, it would differ than whats it's supposed to be if the gasket went **** up

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You can read what the o2's are doing, but that's not going tell you anything about the plenum. You have to look, No scanner or vacuum test is going to help. Take the TB off and look with a mirror and flashlight, simple as that.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Cloak
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
You can read what the o2's are doing, but that's not going tell you anything about the plenum. You have to look, No scanner or vacuum test is going to help. Take the TB off and look with a mirror and flashlight, simple as that.
kinda hard to believe NO VACUUM test will help......but if you say so zman....you seem to know more about anything than anyone bro...I'm just gonna go ahead and do the plenum and head gaskets next friday

Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Umm, sorry but I don't know more about everything than anyone. Just the things I have experience with. The correct way to check the plenum is one of them. And since I also own a Genisys, I might know a little about that too. Good luck "bro" , hope you get it figured out.

Quick Reply: I think I blew my plenum gasket