2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

People with 2.02's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default People with 2.02's

In about the next month or so I will have enough for a set of 2.02 EQ heads from Clearwater/Odessa. My intentions are to rebuild a motor while I'm still driving with mine.

So far I've decided to go with:

2.02's from Odessa
maybe a krc210x cam or similar through summit
modified intake w/ new plenum plate/gasket
52mm throttle body
Stock air filter housing w/ K&N (already have)
SCT by Hemifever

I'm not looking for extreme power by any means, just a nicely built reliable motor with a good chunk of power over stock. Believe me, if I had the money, I would properly build a 408, but I really have no need for such power right now haha.

What would you think I would be at for power with all of this? Like I said I'm not trying to win a speed contest, so feel free to low or high ball it. It's my daily driver, but I do like to hit a dirt road when it rains and go down to Tuttle Creek Kansas once a year to have some real fun. So from reading on this forum for around a year I thought these would be good things to get. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

You won't start developing real power until mid-range RPM (greater than 2500, maybe even 3K....) so, if you tow/haul, that combo won't be real friendly.....

It WILL be a powerful motor in the midrange though, using the kegger will limit you on the upper RPM power, that combo would get a GREAT deal of benefit from the hughes air gap. (that would REALLY wake it up in the mid-upper range, without losing much on the bottom)

You are also going to want to address the exhaust, as the stock system will severely limit power throughout the RPM ranges. Especially mid-to upper.

Also, depending on what type of off-roading you do, decimating your bottom end, may not be the best plan.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with the ninja HeyYou.. 1.92's are more than sufficient.. if you are considering regearing, down to 4.56:1 or 4.88:1, the 2.02's would work as you'll hit the RPM range they shine in much faster..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 PM
FireDodge
Captain

Yeah I forgot to mention that I would be doing headers with the motor as well. I already have an aftermarket Y pipe, so that's covered. As for gears, those will be a spring project for me and I intend on doing 4.56's when that time comes.

Right now, I don't tow/haul very much at all, just a couch or some logs here and there when I help someone move or get some firewood for the house. And as for offroading, I mostly just do mud, but I like to do some trails too. I understand that I will have plenty of upper RPM power, but I won't be doing any real offroading until next spring because the Nebraskan winter is on it's way.

Any more suggestions and comments are more than welcome, Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hughes airgap was a nice bump in power , I would do it again for sure , after 3 k it sounds like a 4 brl carb

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're a mudder, you'll be looking for high RPM's, and the 2.02s and that cam is a good match.. especially with gears.. and the air gap would do nothing but help.. if you're primarily low RPM's you'll wanna stay at 1.92 and the keg, but gears help low end too...

Do yourself a favor and watch how you drive, your truck is still going to be primarily transport, right? Choose your set up based on your use..

It's been said, you can only choose two of the three: power, cheap, sustainable/reliable.. you can't have all three.. you can stress it out every once in a while on the trail or in the mud, and still have a daily driver... Or, you can build either a mudder or a trail truck, but it will make you broke driving it everyday..

Bump the cam by all means.. a sausage cam or a 205 will be great for daily driving, and won't eat parts, and deliver a nice bump in power.. new 1.92 heads will breath better than stock, and depending on the decks, slightly increase compression which translates to power.. intake manifolds are a push.. gears are not... You will benefit from gears no matter what.

Last edited by drewactual; 09-09-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When KRC existed they had recomended the 206 cam for me instead of the 210. I just never did it since I would have had to reflash for my year computer and B&G is a long way from here to drive a dodge pickup to get a tuneup. You might look into that one. Dude was saying it would be a perfect truck cam yet liven up around town habits nicely. He explicitly warned me against using the 210 saying *I* probably wouldn't like that one since it is more of a drag racing cam than what I'd probably want.

I'm with the others about sticking to the 1.92's. I rather doubt 2.02's would buy you much with either cam. Maybe a bit more with the 210.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

With either cam, the 2.02s would lose some on the bottom end, and gain some in the upper-mid, to upper rpm ranges. In combo with the 210 cam, and the hughes, above 3000 RPM, it would be a screamer, below that, a yugo could outrun you.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
FireDodge
Captain

well being without some lower end might be helpful for me. The oncoming Nebraskan winter is approaching and I think having more lower end right now wouldn't be the best choice. I may get the Hughes Airgap down the road, but as of right now I don't want to throw down 600 bucks for an intake.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

And your thinking a peaky motor will help you drive in the snow? lol maybe. I guess you're gonna find out.

Quick Reply: People with 2.02's