2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

reinstalling transmission crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,971 Posts

Originally Posted by working4ev
I was thing someone was going to have as dirty mind

Funny things just happen

As for needing to spread frame rails... What is the job of the cross member other than holding the transmission??? Think about it..
To catch trees/rocks and such, and make sure they get tossed somewhere that will do the most damage.......

Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteC
lol, if you need to spread the frame to install the cross member, your doing it wrong.

Agreed. Wow, I just did this earlier this summer and didn't force the frame apart. While there is a degree of holding one's tongue "just right" as well as dropping the "f-bomb" and muttering, "sonuvabitch" a lot, it can be done.

What I discovered was to install it at a slight angle and back (toward the rear axle) of where it's supposed to go. I then used a BFH to tap it forward on the end that is angled toward the rear end. It was also helpful to position a screwdriver or two through the holes of the side of the bracket that is closest to the front of the truck as it slides forward. Once the screwdrivers are in place and are preventing it from moving the effort can be concentrated on the other side. Sometimes it had a tendency to move upward, but once it started to square up I removed the screwdrivers and installed the hardware which helped guide the opposite side. When that side started to fall close into place I again used the screwdrivers as guides until a hole lined up, at which point the hardware was installed to force/guide it into place.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:29 AM
5newgoats
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all

Originally Posted by working4ev
I had this same problem the last time I replaces my transmission.

BFH is no the the fix for this one my friend.
You need to spread open the frame rails and at the same time compress the cross member ears inward.

What I did is used an hydraulic jack with a 2x4 that fits up between the frame rails. This will allow you to spread the frame rails by pumping the jack.

With the cross member I used a wench to pull the cross member inward.

If done right the cross member should fit loosely between the frame rails.

I understand a picture is worth a thousand words but I forgot to get a picture.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello. This thread really helped me out. !! The frame rail spread technique works so slick for reinstalling the cross member. My new transmission mount is holding everything together nicely ....... No more dangling Cummins swinging from the motor mounts.

THANKS

Quick Reply: reinstalling transmission crossmember