2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

serpatine belt squealing like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing seems to be wrong with the head gaskets. Everything seems cool. I'm still having problems with the damn hood latch though but thats another thread.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Losde757
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming the squeaking stopped, since you hadn't posted anything since.

I'm undergoing the same deal right now, but not only squealing..but ticking too. This was after being pro-active and replacing my old belt with Auto's cheap Duralast $19.99. However, when I put the old one back on...the squealing and ticking went away. I've read other blogs on this forum it appears (and I hope) there's more to the engineering of the belts than meets the eye. So with that said, I'll be replacing my belt with a Dayco Brand.

Stay tuned!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Losde757
I'm assuming the squeaking stopped, since you hadn't posted anything since.

I'm undergoing the same deal right now, but not only squealing..but ticking too. This was after being pro-active and replacing my old belt with Auto's cheap Duralast $19.99. However, when I put the old one back on...the squealing and ticking went away. I've read other blogs on this forum it appears (and I hope) there's more to the engineering of the belts than meets the eye. So with that said, I'll be replacing my belt with a Dayco Brand.

Stay tuned!
I wrecked my truck so I couldnt tell you what stopped it. I was using a dayco belt at the time. Since they are the OEM one as far as I know, I would put the same back on since your having problems with the auto zone one. I know advance auto carries dayco

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i' had a ticking problem for the last 2 or 3 weeks. it only ticked for the first 3-4 miles when it was cold, and then quit ticking after everything warmed up.

with the hood up and me up on the bumper looking straight down at the water pump, i noticed the idler pulley wobbling a little. i removed the belt and spun all the pulleys by hand. the idler pulley had a loose, dry ring sound indicating the bearing was dry and bad. it also had a little wiggle play. the tensioner pulley had a little dry click, but wasn't as bad as the idler.

since my idler pulley was the worst, i replaced it first. that did not stop the clicking sound. i think that pulley was past clicking. next i replaced the tensioner pulley and that was the culprit. i have a quiet belt system now.

the best place to buy these parts are amazon. good price and free shipping. rockauto has best price, but shipping adds up. i got the Dayco brands and they are good. i got mine at Advance, idler for $24 price matched to rockauto (with shipping) and $21 for the tensioner pulley with the ribs.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the higher priced belt form AZ. No squeeks, no problem. Sometimes buying a higher priced item rather than the first on they pull is better. I seldom if ever buy the cheapest, but clerks usually offer the cheapest first and the average customer probably buys for price and not quality.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Losde757
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the serpetine belt! I replaced the duralast with Dayco ($37 on shelf at Autozone) and squealing and ticking stop. FYI: Prior to the swapping out the belts, I too invested in a new tension arm and pully ($70 on the shelf at Autozone).

Furthermore, right now (yesterday evening) Autozone is not advertizing, but they have Mobile-1 5Qts full synthetic oil with Bosch Oil filter for $29.99 at the register (none of that mail in rebate bull). Oil retails at $37.77 and oil filter at $7.00.

Quick Reply: serpatine belt squealing like crazy