2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

XM satellite install pix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Prototype
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM satellite install pix? [Added my pictures]

I've searched and all the threads I found have dead images in them. I'm looking for where and how you guys mounted your radios. I tried just using the sticky pad that came with it but it just keeps falling off in the heat. I really don't want to put any screw holes into my dash but that is an option if I like the position.

The first place I had mine was on the dash pad right above the cup holders. That lasted for all of a week. lol Then I put it just down and to the left of the glovebox. That lasted for an even shorter amount of time due to the stress of the weight of the radio. Since it will be a permanent install, would hot glue work on the section to the left of the glovebox?

Thanks for the input. I'll go snap some pictures of where I mean and post them back here.

This first pic is where I originally had it. The heat from the sun made it fall off and using the cup holder would block it.

Name:  08d8d3c8.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  69.9 KB

This is where I think I want it. But again, the heat from the sun has made it fall off.

Name:  76adf2a5.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  fc53ac0b.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  96.9 KB

Last edited by Prototype; 09-11-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 09-10-2011, 11:46 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just picked up a Ram, but have XM in alll my vehicles, but two of the vehicles have a cradle and wiring so I can move the reciever around. Although I have a lot of work to do, I will eventually have the same issue. Where and How? Someone here will have some ideas to share. Drilling holes in adash that is susceptible to cracking up all over would not be a good choice.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Prototype
Rookie

The dash is prone to crack? I didn't know this. I got mine from a guy up in Canada for while I'm there and it's a '94 and is WELL taken care of. There are no leaks at all and the undercarriage is almost rust free. The only issues with it are the headliner and I had to replace the coil. I think the fuel pump is next as sometimes it will have issues with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prototype
The dash is prone to crack? I didn't know this. I got mine from a guy up in Canada for while I'm there and it's a '94 and is WELL taken care of. There are no leaks at all and the undercarriage is almost rust free. The only issues with it are the headliner and I had to replace the coil. I think the fuel pump is next as sometimes it will have issues with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

The dash is a well known poc. Maybe since yours was not exposed to a lot of sun and heat.....NEVER saw a Ram more than 4 or 5 years old that did not have a cracked up dash.

Name:  _MG_6605.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  136.1 KB

I recently picked up this truck (helping out a BIL so it didn't get repo'd). knew it was going to be an expensive restoration project. This one is a 1999, and has live in the heat in west texas.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Prototype
Rookie

Oh my god that is terrifying.. Please tell me there is a way to prevent it.
I'll be using the truck a lot in San Diego Cali and that scares me that my dash may end up like that.

I know it's OT, but it's my topic so I don't care lol.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
The dash is a well known poc. Maybe since yours was not exposed to a lot of sun and heat.....NEVER saw a Ram more than 4 or 5 years old that did not have a cracked up dash.

I recently picked up this truck (helping out a BIL so it didn't get repo'd). knew it was going to be an expensive restoration project. This one is a 1999, and has live in the heat in west texas.

Mines 16 years old no cracks of any type, black truck and hot summers and cold winters; still in one peice. maybe its a Canada truck thing LOL.

I used a piece of plexi glass heated and bent to mount the sirius unit to and then mounted it down by the air bag box on the floor, I had a remote for the sirius unit I had. I'll get some pics up later.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-11-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Prototype
Rookie

Thanks, all pictures are welcome, but I have the XM Onyx unit and as far as I know, it doesn't have a remote.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Alpine head unit that has am integrated Sirius tuner in it so you just have to run a wire with the little magnetic reciever to the top of the truck right above the light.

Id get something like that

Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
jmhai
Veteran

Mine is mounted on the air bag controller cover w/remote.. no remote? ouch...Also A 96 with no cracks in dash, mine was made in Mexico..

Name:  DSCF1781.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  DSCF1782.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  DSCF1780.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  112.5 KB

Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
krs7272
Rookie