2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carbon fouling, Idle rough, running RICH at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Forceofwon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttrash91
just a thought as im reading this.....wouldnt a vaccumm leak cause a lean burn, NOT rich..

just sayin

glad ya gotter goin!

I blame the carbon fouling/rich mixture on the EGR valve. When I bought the truck it was disconnected, and plugs were fine. I put a new EGR valve in it and it started fouling plugs. I also remembered I had the same problem with a 71 Charger with a 318 I had once. It had a EGR valve mounted on the manifold. I blocked it off and it stopped fouling plugs too.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Wasgas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by Big Lar
I had problems similar to this and the guys here suggested the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor,

Larry
I just replaced the lifters on my wife's car and it wouldn't run right and would barely start fule smoke everywhere and all plugs fouled. After reading this I realized the issue. I had the water pump out as it was leaking and I was waiting on the replacement the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR was still unplugged. You saved me a ton of work and money thanks 🙏

Quick Reply: Carbon fouling, Idle rough, running RICH at idle