2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Bag Light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 AM
2500R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light on

Hi Everyone, New here. Made the switch from a GMC 2500 to my Ram 2500. Love the truck. I know the Air Bag light on is a common issue, or at least I have read a few posts on it but I would like to get rid of mine. I took it to the dealer and they scanned it and they said it was my control module. Do they go bad? I checked the fuses, disconnected the battery, horn works fine so dont think it is the clockspring. I took the yellow connector off. Looks like there is a little black on one of the pins. Cannot see any carbon inside the pin hole. Is there a diagram on what each pin does? Or are there some easy to access grounds to check? Just not sure what to check next. Or do I jsut replace the unit?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,278 Likes on 3,025 Posts

You can grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section here, it will have all the wiring diagrams you need.

I bet that control module isn't exactly cheap either......

Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM
2500R

Thanks Hey You. Got the manual and will try and figure this out. One thing else I noticed was my seatbelt light and buzzer does not stay illuminated when I start the truck and dont have my seat belt on. Almost wonder if the PO disabled the seat belt circuit or the switch could be gone. I took a look at the wiring diagram and it does not look like the seat belt and Air Bag System are linked. It would make sense I would think that if the seat belt circuit is not working it would tell the Air Bag sys. Anyone know for sure? I am thinking I should get a warning chime if I dont plug in my belt.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ABS light came on in my '02 Grand Cherokee early last spring. Started intermittently, but by mid-summer it was always on. Horn & Cruise continued to work flawlessly and it WAS the clock spring.

Don't rule it out...

Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 AM
2500R
Red face

So I went to check out the Air Bag Control Module and found a brown sticky Coffee syrup all over the unit. Then in the control plug there was one blk pin. I think the PO spilled his double double coffee on his Air Bag Unit. Not a smart design placing it right under the drink holder. $45 from a wrecker and the light is off. I guess they can and do short out with coffee

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light on