2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why??

Ok so I've been calling around to some mechanics around the area about my heater core and all have said that the AC needs to be done as well.

But when I look at the DIY they say you don't have to even when some do. Also people say you don't have to.

So my question is, when I do my heater core do I need to do anything with the AC other than move some hoses around? And why do I need to or not need to?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they want your money. and unsuspecting people that don't know better will pay them

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
they want your money. and unsuspecting people that don't know better will pay them
That's what I was thinking. I got an average of $1000 to do it. And that includes the "Chrystler HC" that is the same as the one they sell at AutoZone for under $80.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
ehjr72

Hopefully i can help a little here but keep in mind this is based on my experience with a 95 and a 99 dodge ram 1500. I have been thru 2 evaporators on the 95 and 3 evaporators and one heater core on the 99. The short answer is no you don't have to do anything with the A/C components but they will have to discharge the freon. It will have to be discharged because the heater core and evaporator are located in the same housing behind the dash. The long answer is that it might be a good idea to replace the evaporator because it should not cost nothing more than the additional part since when they pull the heater core the evaporator is right there with it. If you pay $1000 now and your evaporator starts leaking in two weeks, it will still cost another $1000 then because the labor is basically identical. I have had bad luck with evaporators on the dodge trucks. The last repair i made earlier in the year, the heater core was leaking. SInce i did all the work myself i went ahead and replaced the evaporator since i was already there. I think i replaced heater core, evaporator, liquid line and dryer plus recharge of the system for about $500-$550.00.... if you have not had any issues with your evaporator to date, then i would say you are lucky... Hope that helps...

Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If a shop does it, they will charge you what the book says the time required is. (which includes evac/recharge the a/c) Whether they actually DO it that way is another matter entirely.

If YOU do it, you can just shuffle stuff around a bit, NOT remove the entire box from the cab, and YOU don't have to evacuate the a/c.

That said, I agree with ehjr72.... if you are going to pay someone to do it, replace the evaporator core as well.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If a shop does it, they will charge you what the book says the time required is. (which includes evac/recharge the a/c) Whether they actually DO it that way is another matter entirely.

If YOU do it, you can just shuffle stuff around a bit, NOT remove the entire box from the cab, and YOU don't have to evacuate the a/c.

That said, I agree with ehjr72.... if you are going to pay someone to do it, replace the evaporator core as well.
I'm thinking of doing it my self in all honesty. Half the price which would help me out a lot.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
tweav88
Professional

Okay, so this might sound dumb, but are the heater core and evaporator underneath the dash on the passenger side? and why do these trucks have problems with them, i'm not having any problems but is there anything i can check to tell if i might in the near future?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by tweav88
Okay, so this might sound dumb, but are the heater core and evaporator underneath the dash on the passenger side? and why do these trucks have problems with them, i'm not having any problems but is there anything i can check to tell if i might in the near future?
Yes and just like anything else, they just go bad. Mine truck is 11 years old.

As for future checking, once you start seeing a film on your windshield your HC is going. Also your passenger side carpet might be damp.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's my belief that the heater core and ac evap core rot from the outside, from all the crap that gets down in there. Genos garage has a filter for the cowl ,that keeps all that crap out. All that crap that gets in there is also why the ac drip tube gets clogged.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
Yes and just like anything else, they just go bad. Mine truck is 11 years old.

As for future checking, once you start seeing a film on your windshield your HC is going. Also your passenger side carpet might be damp.
Where is the HC located?