2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
cmacsauto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter?

Hi, so i have a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9 and have been having misfire problems while driving. I just got finished removing the tank and pump module. I tested the pump with the filter on and it is not getting a steady flow of fuel, with the filter off, there is no lack of flow whatsoever. Now i have run into another problem as I cannot seem to find the fuel pickup filter anywhere. Does anyone know a part number/ brand that I can tell the parts store. I looked on AllData and there is no part number listed. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I don't think you can get the filter that is actually in the tank as a separate piece. the sock on the fuel pump isn't available separately. There is another filter in the regulator assembly. You CAN get those at the parts store.

Volume isn't all there is to it though, you also need pressure.... if you have inadequate pressure, you need to replace the pump. (or, the whole friggin' unit.....)

Welcome to DF!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 PM
cmacsauto

I don't want to just get a new fuel pump because the ones i have seen just use the strainer from your old pump. I have found one online but it was listed for a 3500. Would there be any difference? Thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I think the only differences between pump units is the size of the gas tank. Have you checked with your local parts stores?

Rock Auto has both the delphi, and the denso units for a little over 200 bucks. (but, I can't direct link to them, because of the way their catalog works.....) Unless you like dropping gas tanks, go with one of those two manufacturers.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you certain the problem isn't the fuel pressure regulator? It's mounted atop the fuel pump assy and acts like a 3rd stage filter. If it's clogged that could be affecting the fuel flow. They're cheap and easy to replace. Try that, first.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

I have to agree with HeyYou. Unless you enjoy dropping your tank, just replace the entire unit with a good quality one and hope you are done on the first try.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter?