2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buzzing sound under truck around 2k RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing sound under truck around 2k RPM

Hearing this buzzing sound somewhere in the front end, or possibly underneath the truck when im up around 2k RPM.

- Never happens at any other time, above or below 2k RPM
- Never happens in OD (on the highway)
- Can be heard with the windows up or down.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a heat shield or something was vibrating, but I couldnt see it bieng a heat shield at a specific RPM....No word of a lie, its fine from 0-1800RPM and 2100-red line...

EDIT: Only happens while moving, not in park.

Last edited by RageGuy; 09-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Bump!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter.
just did as per your advice, and its nowhere close to rubbing, and checked the ones under the heads, fine also......Again, really dont think its a heat shield...its way to specific...

I can rev it up while in park to 2K rpm and the sound does not happen, only happens while moving (Edited original post)

Could it maybe be the torque converter or something? Tranny is shifting perfectly, not having any issue with it, Overdrive works great, fluid is right up at max, recently changed the fluid and filter and there was very little metal in the pan. This issue was existing before I did the fluid change anyways, just never started bugging me untill now.

Last edited by RageGuy; 09-20-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

if a heat shield is loose a bit, it will do exactly as you describe. You have to get to the right resonance before it actually does its trick though. rap on things with a rubber mallet, should help you find it.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
RageGuy
Professional

if a heat shield is loose a bit, it will do exactly as you describe. You have to get to the right resonance before it actually does its trick though. rap on things with a rubber mallet, should help you find it.
Any idea why it only happens when there's a load on the engine? (moving) and not in park?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Its all about harmonics. Gotta have just the right conditions, and BUUUZZZZZZZZZZ. Annoying as hell. Under no load, you don't get quite the right conditions. Can you brake torque it in the driveway, and make it buzz?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Its all about harmonics. Gotta have just the right conditions, and BUUUZZZZZZZZZZ. Annoying as hell. Under no load, you don't get quite the right conditions. Can you brake torque it in the driveway, and make it buzz?
You mean put it in drive, stomp on the brake and rev it to 2k? I could try. My poor baby though!!! lol, ive never done a burnout in this truck ever, I treat her good.

You dont think it could be the TC or something more serious? Would there be other symptoms if it was the TC?

Thank you for answering all my questions, im such a noob.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by RageGuy
You mean put it in drive, stomp on the brake and rev it to 2k? I could try. My poor baby though!!! lol, ive never done a burnout in this truck ever, I treat her good.

You dont think it could be the TC or something more serious? Would there be other symptoms if it was the TC?

Thank you for answering all my questions, im such a noob.
We were all noobs at one point. (except me of course...... )

Just don't do it very long, just give it enough gas to get it up to the 2k, and see if you get a buzz. should be easier to find when the truck isn't moving. Don't hold it there long though......... don't smoke the tires either..... don't have to.

Without hearing the noise, I can only guess, but, from here.... it sure sounds like just a heatshield to me.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound under truck around 2k RPM