2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog lamps dont work anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lamps dont work anymore...

My fog lamps just recently started not working.. The fuse is fine, but I replaced it anyways just to be sure, also replaced the relay... Put new bulbs in..no difference, so it must be something in the wiring....

Ive read that the multi-function **** can be a common failure point in these trucks, but the fog lamp indicator light does light up when I pull the **** out, which means that the switch is working I believe...

Any ideas? I did search the forums, but the only topics I could find were solved via replacing a fuse or a bulb.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The indicator lamp lighting up just means that one of the wires from the switch, connected the the indicator, is working. It doesn't mean that the whole thing is working.

I would try a junk yard unit with some sort of guarantee (my local yard gives a 90 day policy or some such), or eBay, for a replacement part. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I'd start tracing the wiring, figure out where the problem is.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by jasonw
The indicator lamp lighting up just means that one of the wires from the switch, connected the the indicator, is working. It doesn't mean that the whole thing is working.

I would try a junk yard unit with some sort of guarantee (my local yard gives a 90 day policy or some such), or eBay, for a replacement part. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I'd start tracing the wiring, figure out where the problem is.

Thanks for the response.

The **** still functions in every other way, Internal lights, high beams, etc...just the fogs... Its the one that turns and to turn the fogs on you pull it out....

Could it still be the switch? I will try the wreckers this weekend and see if I can find anything.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Fog Lights are always powered, and the switch grounds the circuit. The indicator is separate from the actual lighting circuit. If the light comes on, the fogs have power, and the switch simply isn't grounding the circuit.

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section, and have a gander at the schematics.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fog Lights are always powered, and the switch grounds the circuit. The indicator is separate from the actual lighting circuit. If the light comes on, the fogs have power, and the switch simply isn't grounding the circuit.

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section, and have a gander at the schematics.
I will do that, thank you!

Quick Reply: Fog lamps dont work anymore...