2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help - Vibration when braking on '97 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Vibration when braking on '97 Ram

Hi Guys,

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram which just recently started to vibrate when I touch the brakes...... especially going at a slow speed.... 30 or so MPH.

A little background...... The truck has about 99,000 miles on it. About 9 months ago I had a front brake job done. I've driven the truck approx 8,000 miles since the brake job. I didn't notice the vibration (maybe shudder is a better description until about two weeks ago.... or about the last 500 miles).

As I said above now when I'm driving at a very slow speed ..... and just "feather" the brakes to come to a stop the truck vibrates ..... as though suddenly all four tires are out of balance (actually the vibration is a bit more severe than that. The brakes do work....... that is they stop the truck the way brakes should do.

I don't think I'm doing a good job of describing the situation ........ but that's the best my 70 something year old brain can do.

Any ideas about what I should do. Any thoughts on what's wrong?

Thanks much, Jason ............

Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Warped rotors come to my mind first.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Usually the vibration is from the rotors being warped. Try having the rotors turned and see if that takes care of it. Does the truck pull to one direction while braking?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Do you feel the pulsation thru the seat? Pedal? Steering wheel? Which is more pronounced? On mine, when I first got it, stepping on the brake pedal was a good vibrational weight loss plan. Felt like the truck was going to shake itself apart. Front brakes were perfect, rears were down to the rivets...... replaced shoes/hardware, turned the drums, now brakes are nice.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Mine does this too, but not as severe as you are describing, just a little bit of a shake when coming to a stop, it actually almost completely goes away once the truck is warmed up. I had my rotors turned and had a complete alignment done, it didnt help at all, I think its just a quirk these trucks have.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by RageGuy
Mine does this too, but not as severe as you are describing, just a little bit of a shake when coming to a stop, it actually almost completely goes away once the truck it warmed up. I had my rotors turned and had a complete alignment done, it dint help at all, I think its just a quirk these trucks have.
or, the rears could stand to be turned as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by SilverSS
Usually the vibration is from the rotors being warped. Try having the rotors turned and see if that takes care of it. Does the truck pull to one direction while braking?
The truck doesn't turn to either side when braking.... the brakes seems to "work" fine.......

Unfortunately I don't know what you mean when you say "have the rotors turned."......... thanks for your reply.......

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonB
The truck doesn't turn to either side when braking.... the brakes seems to "work" fine.......

Unfortunately I don't know what you mean when you say "have the rotors turned."......... thanks for your reply.......

Go to YouTube and search turn auto rotors or something similar.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be the ball joints. Does it vibrate when you are accelerating from a very slow speed?

Have both brakes inspected (Front and rears). YOu said you had a brake job done. But was that just the front or the front and the rears.

Also, the rear drums could have severely rusted hardware. When you get a rear brake service, make sure to NOTE you want all new hardware.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
It could also be the ball joints. Does it vibrate when you are accelerating from a very slow speed?

Have both brakes inspected (Front and rears). YOu said you had a brake job done. But was that just the front or the front and the rears.

Also, the rear drums could have severely rusted hardware. When you get a rear brake service, make sure to NOTE you want all new hardware.
No vibration when accelerating from slow speed. Had a front brake job done about 8K miles ago......... new rotors and pads. (The original brakes worked well for me for over 90,000 miles. The brake shop said my rear brakes were in good shape.......

Funny thing is I took the '97 Ram out this morning for a test run. Normally I anticipate stops and end up just barely touching the brakes. This morning driving around 30 MPH I braked with a bit more pressure....... Brakes worked fine........ AND no vibration or shimmy....... Go figure........

Quick Reply: Help - Vibration when braking on '97 Ram