2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Air Intake opinons

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Cloak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake opinons

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but I was wanting opinions...

Does it REALLY make a difference what BRAND Cold Air Intake I use??
Don't they all pretty much do the same thing?? They all pretty much let about the same amount of air flow through right? Or am i mistaken?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

They are indeed all pretty much the same. They all draw air from the same location, which is the same spot the STOCK system gets it. In my opinion, calling them "Cold Air Induction" systems is a bit of a misnomer, as it isn't any colder than what you get stock.

That said, they DO have the possibility of flowing more air....... anything that helps your engine breathe better is a GOOD thing. You don't need to spend 300 bucks on it though. A free flowing system with a high flow air filter is all you need.

There was another thread about this not so very long ago...... And a couple members posted up pics of REAL cold air systems. Either via a hood scoop, or, ducting to up to the front of the truck by the radiator. Had some good pics too.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been wanting to try one of these ram air kits for our model. It's $$$$ though. http://www.ramairbox.com/kits.html

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to our truck, for performance options rm-indy.com is one of my favorite places to get ideas and he shows you the difference on his 1/4 miles with each of his improvements. Along with pictures and videos. Awesome RM-Indy = <3

Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

As HeyYou stated, there are very few real CAI kits. Most are just larger filters with less restrictive tubes/housings going to the throttle body.

The only thing remotely close to a true CAI (besides the kit mentioned in Ugly1's link) is a Volant or SMB. The reason they are different is they completely envelope the filter, cutting it off (as much as possible) from engine heat.

The whole "heat shield" idea is almost worthless, which is what most CAI kits for our trucks try to use. They are better than nothing, but they still mostly suck in hot engine bay air.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

suck they do... literally...

My CAI system is worth a solid 100HP over stock.. no kidding.. the only problem is the engine, which parasitically shaves it down to an almost immeasurable amount.. like, maybe- one HP? Dang engine.. I'd gut that thing if I didn't have emissions...

seriously- er, somewhat seriously.. it's been said that every 40 degrees shaved off of air temperature at the point of induction is worth 10 ponies.. if this were possible, folks would run refrigerants on that system- but the plain simple truth is no matter how much you cool that air, once it gets in your intake manifold and is about to be sucked into the cylinder, it's been warmed up to likely within 10 or so degrees of what your engine temperature is.. it has to pass over the same region that just coughed out burning air.. literal burning air..

a forced air can achieve much cooler temps.. a RAM with a short, unobstructed source of cool air is supposed to be the equiv of up to three psi of boost.. I'm thinking that is almost impossible.. more like, maybe .3 psi of boost.. who knows though, right?

During the summer, I notice no gain whatsoever from my RAM/CAI.. in the cool months, there is a gain there.. not huge, but noticeable.. I'm thinking pulling the air from somewhere other than the engine bay is teh reason for that, or it may be my damaged ego attempting to reconcile the expense of that system subconsciously.. take your pick.. either is likely accurate..

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake opinons