2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leaking tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Ram Jam 97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy leaking tranny fluid

hey i have a 97 ram with the 318 in it automatic, i am leakin transmission fluid from the bell housing, only when i fire the truck up, what could be my problem and how do i fix it....
thanks

Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Is it up where the bell housing bolts to the enigne block, down near the dust shield or is it dripping more towards the back output shaft?

If you see it coming from under the dust cover, and don't see any trail I would suspect the torque converter seal.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

I'm betting once that torque converter gets spun up (when its on) and the pressure built up that seal is breaking. When the engine isn't running, there isn't enough pressure to cause it leak.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

It could be the torque converter seal or the front pump seal or loose pump bolts. You would need to remove the transmission and inspect.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:25 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Jam 97
hey i have a 97 ram with the 318 in it automatic, i am leakin transmission fluid from the bell housing, only when i fire the truck up, what could be my problem and how do i fix it....
thanks

I had the same problem after I rebuilt transmission. I had overfilled it and it was leaking from a vent hole in the oil pump housing. When it hit the Y pipe, is smoked big time. Have you recently added fluid? If so, it may be that simple. I assume you knw to check fluid level when fluid is at operating temp and in Neutral - not in Park like most other vehicles.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Ram Jam 97

its leaking at the bell housing, so a few people i know were saying its probably the main seal or pump seal.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Jam 97
its leaking at the bell housing, so a few people i know were saying its probably the main seal or pump seal.

Well, it may be. But I would start with checking things that do not cost money, or require a significnat amount of time and labor. Like making sure the transmission fluid is not overfilled. Certainly before I would drop the tranny or pay someone to do it.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
RageGuy
Professional

I had a similar experience to Gdstock. I did a fluid change on my truck, overfilled it a bit by accident and it started leaking from the same area your talking about. Fearing the worst I took it to a (thankfully honest) mechanic that told me these trucks have a bleeder valve and that if its overfilled it can **** out of that a bit till the fluid level normalizes. Mine dripped for about 2 weeks then stopped, sure enough when it stopped the fluid was right at max on the dipstick.

Quick Reply: leaking tranny fluid