2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for advice/suggestions (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
FreeDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys again for the help. Thanks Zman for the site for the codes. I had no idea...I was about to go to the auto store and see if they could pull them for me. I would have looked and felt stupid!

So using my small brain, I pulled the codes. Took me about 50 times to try to make sure I was doing it right. Recorded the CEL with my cell phone and sat down with a piece of paper to count the flashes....ugh. So from what I am getting I have the codes 35,51,46,41

35-Radiator Fan low speed relay circuit. Open or short in the radiator fan relay wiring.

51-System lean L-idle adap at rich limit or lean R-idle Adap at rich limit-O2 sensor signal indicates lean air/fuel ratio during engine operation. The computer ran the mixture to the rich limit of programming, but the O2 sensor still indicated a lean condition. L or R indicate left or right side O2 sensor. Fuel pressure problems can lean the mixture and set this fault.

46-Charging system voltage too high. Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation. Computer is indicating that the battery voltage is not being regulated.

41-Generator field not switching properly. Open or short in the generator (alternator) field control (regulator) circuit. This indicates a problem with the charging circuit and the fault is set when the battery voltage from the ASD relay falls below 11.75 volts. Wiring, connectors, fuses, and the ASD relay should be checked. A shorted battery cell can also trigger this fault.

So if I got my codes right then to the best to my knowledge I should change 02 sensor and battery and that could help.

I will follow the steps they listed for code 41 but I think the best thing to do first is change the battery I am sure it could use it after sitting over a year.

I will also check/remove the cat and do the plenum kit fix along with a tune up...I will look into doing the timing chain/water pump.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Forget the 35 code, as I doubt you have an E fan.

51 , I'd get a cheap fuel pressure tester and check it. Could be bad o2 also , due to the plenum issue. Which you most likely have.

46 and 41 could be bad. Have the battery checked or replace it first as you said. Then run it and see what codes come up. If you get either one come back, remove and have the alternator tested.If it checks out, it could be the PCM is bad. As the Voltage Regulator in built into the PCM,(great design) as opposed to being integral to the alternator or completely separate . (great design)

Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
FreeDodge

Originally Posted by zman17
Forget the 35 code, as I doubt you have an E fan.

51 , I'd get a cheap fuel pressure tester and check it. Could be bad o2 also , due to the plenum issue. Which you most likely have.

46 and 41 could be bad. Have the battery checked or replace it first as you said. Then run it and see what codes come up. If you get either one come back, remove and have the alternator tested.If it checks out, it could be the PCM is bad. As the Voltage Regulator in built into the PCM,(great design) as opposed to being integral to the alternator or completely separate . (great design)

Will do! Please forgive me, don't have my Haynes manual yet but what is PCM? What does it do? Now I am worried lol.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, the computer on the passenger side firewall. Expensive and near impossible to check.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
FreeDodge

Originally Posted by zman17
The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, the computer on the passenger side firewall. Expensive and near impossible to check.

Awesome

Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It does suck, terrible design . Just remove and check the cheaper things first.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 PM
FreeDodge

Is the ECM the same as a PCM or different part?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Same thing. Dodge calls it PCM, and some websites or parts stores will call it ECM.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice/suggestions (long post)