2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for advice/suggestions (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM
FreeDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice/suggestions (long post)

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I just wanted to start off by thanking everyone for the insane amount of information!

That being said I am feeling overwhelmed and not sure what all I should be doing in my situation.

So I have a 94 1500 4x4 with 5.2 318. This truck has 172k miles on it. I received it free as a gift from my cousin, who had it sitting for over a year. He got busy with work, the truck started needing some repairs so he parked it rather than fixing it.

I have little to no knowledge when it comes to cars/engines but have a large group of friends/family that I can help. I have been struggling a lot reading through the forums understanding the parts/lingo/abbreviations but thanks to google, I am getting it slowly.

I sold my truck which I had payments on, so I could get this truck as my wife and I are trying to get out of debt and improve our personal finances. So I would like to keep my overall costs as low as possible because we are throwing every extra penny at our debt.

I drove the truck 4 hours to get it home and for the most part it did alright. The last 60 miles or so though it started loosing acceleration and even though I would step on the gas more, I would loose power and it would not go. At one point I couldn't go over 15mph. I noticed though then that when I stopped for about 10 mins to call someone to tow me, when I got back in I had full power for a bit and then it slowed to about 40 mph when I was traveling 60. I was able to park for about an hour while waiting and then decided to go again and was able to make it home at 60 mph.

The truck doesn't smoke very often, only sometimes when shifting and very rarely when idling and if it does it is not very much at all. I do always smell a fuel/oil type smell when driving. I did check through the throttle body and noticed oil in it so I plan on doing the plenum fix.

While reading up about the plenum fix, I come across people saying "when doing plenum fix also do this ***". I wanna keep this as low cost as possible but not sure what parts are a "must" to replace and what others I could possible get by on.

As of now I need tires very bad so that is top of the list as winter is coming and I am on slicks as it is. I would like to do plenum kit, dist/rotor/wires/plug, new belt, flush radiator (it is nasty and rusty, new radiator cap and probably sooner than later a new fuel pump.

I only drive about a mile (one way) to work every day and my town is small so not a lot of traveling, wife also has her car which is newer, nicer, more reliable but I would like to have the truck in shape to where I could take it on a trip, hunting, skiing and not be worried (too much) that I won't make it back.

What other parts SHOULD for a fact I be doing when I do this given the symptoms and age/mileage? Keep in mind I need to stay low cost as possible. What would be the best parts to invest in that would give me some peace of mind with the truck and not break the bank in one swoop? What parts should I think about doing sometime but shouldn't worry about right now?

I am not going for hot rod performance, just something that is going to keep the truck running for as long as possible and be somewhat worry free. I also don't plan on putting on a ton of miles on it.

Sorry this was so long I want to cut it short so if you guys need any other info on my situation or need me to clarify more let me know...I will be around....I am studying and learning as much as I can!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
SilverSS
Captain

You can buy the plenum plate on e bay and get gaskets locally that will save you some cash. Don't need to replace the distributor but do the cap and rotor/wires/plugs. You will need intake manifold bolts. They cannot be reused. Check the condition of the hoses but more than likely they should be replaced as well. Bypass hose, bypass tube, upper and lower radiator hoses, and heater hose. I would also recommend timing chain- they are relatively cheap (I paid $45 for a comp double roller), and water pump since if you do the timing chain you have to pull the pump. If you remove the throttle body you will need a new gasket for that. Also check the cat. It could well be plugged. Oxygen sensor more than likely as well (around $30). Get a Denso or NTK.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A $8 can of seafoam will do a lot

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think the cat is toast, given the symptoms you describe.

With 172K on the clock, timing chain/gears, and water pump really wouldn't be such a bad idea, right along with the hoses/belt.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

x2 on the cat. Classic symptoms and with the plenum gasket being blown it almost a given. As well as the pre-cat O2. If the funds are available, it is worth replacing as much as you can while you have the engine torn down that far. It's not hard, but can be time consuming if never been done before. Pick up a haynes manual or a Dodge FSM (service manual). I think there is one in the DIY section that covers your year. Don't quote me on that though.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
marks18

IMO I would do the plate fix, tune up (plugs wires cap and rotor), cut out the cat or replace it, new oxygen sensor, and a dealer pcv valve.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 AM
FreeDodge

Thank you guys for the responses/suggestions. I have already ordered a Haynes manual from Amazon just waiting for it to arrive. I did find the FSM for 95 but said it should work for 94 as well...I have DLd that and sifting through it. I talked with a bro-in-law and I think he may help me cut out the cat or at least gut it. I would like to do the cat test with the pressure gauge but not sure where I would get one and I am not sure what you use to plug up the holes in the exhaust line with. Stupid question I know.

Also the 02 sensors confuse me. I am not even sure if I have one on my truck or where it's at or how to check it etc. I want my Haynes book here so I can look it up.

Is a new thermostat important? I was going to get the 180* off hughes as I have seen suggested but then I saw someone talk about buying a $265 SCT tuner or something like that...I can't do that, way out of the question at this point and time.

Also for further information, my CEL is on and is usually on all the time....once in a great while, when I start it up it is off and stays off for a little bit but then after driving some it comes on. Thanks again guys, I am very nervous but very excited and I feel this will be an amazing learning experience. Just wish I was rich

Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You only have one o2 before the cat. You can unscrew it and see if it runs any better.

And stick with the stock temp t-stat. You can't use the SCT tuner anyway. It's for obd2 systems, and your 94 is obd1.

You can check the codes in this manner, http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity where in WA are you? Home is covington for me. Also, I was under the impression our single o2 was behind the cat? I bought mine with no cat so i dont know.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Out of curiosity where in WA are you? Home is covington for me. Also, I was under the impression our single o2 was behind the cat? I bought mine with no cat so i dont know.
Pre-Cat. Has to be, to get an accurate reading on F/A mixture. OBDI vehicles didn't care if the cat was being efficient or not.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice/suggestions (long post)