2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SCT Tuning and Seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
thats what i was thinking. just threw me off when laramie said "until stalling (add other half to gas tank???), Then turn it on" like it was off in the first place
He doesn't know what the hell he is talking about! LOL JK Laramie

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you cant stall the motor while its off right? I'm sure one of us rednecks could figure out how to do that lol. No what Ive read is that you turn it on, pull the brake booster line off and let it suck up the seafoam slowly until your engine dies. Once it dies let it sit for 30 minutes and let the seafoam do its magic. Then when you crack it back up again (more clear huh) it smokes like crazy. Here are my questions as they have been in debate in every seafoam thread.

1) Adding some to the gas tank? Who has done this and have you had good or bad results? I cant see the harm here but who knows, anyone?

2) Adding some to the oil. Alot of people have convinced me NOT to do this. I forgot the reason but what I remember was that you MUST change your oil within 50 miles of putting it in there and that There will still be some residual crap and you should change it again soon. Just seems like 50$ in oil and filters aren't worth trying to clean it through oil.

On the side note of the SCT Tuner, I must say I am VERY impressed with Hemifevers customer support. He answered all my 8 million PM's with nice respectable answers. Helped me find my PCM part number, and helped me decide on my tunes for my mods. I ordered it and within 4 hours I had a shipped notification in my gmail. That is beyond most customer service these days, but I guess he is in the South. We all know the Southern Hospitality is hard to beat. Anyway back on track. Getting the 87,89,91 tunes (93 is rare in my area). Everything I had read about SCT Tuners is all good, just would like to hear how easy the machine is to operate. Anyone?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
Well you cant stall the motor while its off right? I'm sure one of us rednecks could figure out how to do that lol. No what Ive read is that you turn it on, pull the brake booster line off and let it suck up the seafoam slowly until your engine dies. Once it dies let it sit for 30 minutes and let the seafoam do its magic. Then when you crack it back up again (more clear huh) it smokes like crazy. Here are my questions as they have been in debate in every seafoam thread.

1) Adding some to the gas tank? Who has done this and have you had good or bad results? I cant see the harm here but who knows, anyone?

2) Adding some to the oil. Alot of people have convinced me NOT to do this. I forgot the reason but what I remember was that you MUST change your oil within 50 miles of putting it in there and that There will still be some residual crap and you should change it again soon. Just seems like 50$ in oil and filters aren't worth trying to clean it through oil.

On the side note of the SCT Tuner, I must say I am VERY impressed with Hemifevers customer support. He answered all my 8 million PM's with nice respectable answers. Helped me find my PCM part number, and helped me decide on my tunes for my mods. I ordered it and within 4 hours I had a shipped notification in my gmail. That is beyond most customer service these days, but I guess he is in the South. We all know the Southern Hospitality is hard to beat. Anyway back on track. Getting the 87,89,91 tunes (93 is rare in my area). Everything I had read about SCT Tuners is all good, just would like to hear how easy the machine is to operate. Anyone?
1...Adding to gas tank is ok. But I prefer using Techron +, and sometimes Marvel mystery oil. Some people on here like the Lucas too.

2... Don't add it to your oil. If anything, use Rislone in place of a quart every oil change. You won't be sorry. Other peeps on here use different things, and I respect their opinions as well. So it's up to you.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
You pour the amount you want in it, very slowly, so it doesn't stall. Then shut it off and let it sit.
Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
No what Ive read is that you turn it on, pull the brake booster line off and let it suck up the seafoam slowly until your engine dies.
damn the internet giving conflicting reports!!! guess its a po-tay-to/po-tah-to sorta thing huh?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Zman, between you, HeyYou, Aim4Squirrels, and JasonW I have been lead nothing but in the right direction. If you read this forum enough and know who can be the most helpful and how to ask your question properly (AFTER RESEARCHING DF), you get nothing but good results.

I hate to say I have NEVER worked on ANY vehicle before my 200,000 mile upgrade. Getting the service manual, reading all of the knowledge here, and asking the right questions with the right information in a polite way will always get you closer to fixing your problem. Because of you guys I now have the confidence to do almost anything in my truck other then the transmission :P

Thanks again guys

Ya you pour it in slowly so it doesnt stall IMMEDIATELY. You will eventually stall it or run out of seafoam.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

damn the internet giving conflicting reports!!! guess its a po-tay-to/po-tah-to sorta thing huh?
No. If you do it slowly enough, you can pour gallons of it in without it stalling. BB, do you have a can of it yet?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

No. If you do it slowly enough, you can pour gallons of it in without it stalling. BB, do you have a can of it yet?
yeah i got a can. im just waiting for a good time that my neighbors won't mind me smoking them out LOL!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

yeah i got a can. im just waiting for a good time that my neighbors won't mind me smoking them out LOL!
I only asked because the directions on the can, clearly state how to do it. I'm looking at the can right now, and was going to post a pic or quote as to what it says. In case you didn't have it yet . And screw the "hood" , they will get over it. Plus, it might not even be that bad, because of the fixes you've done.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

I only asked because the directions on the can, clearly state how to do it. I'm looking at the can right now, and was going to post a pic or quote as to what it says. In case you didn't have it yet . And screw the "hood" , they will get over it. Plus, it might not even be that bad, because of the fixes you've done.
yeah i just think its funny someone says pour it till it kills it, and another says pour what you want slowly while not killing it

Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Yeah thats why im asking people BB, because I know lots of people have done it. Ive read their instructions, but they call it the miracle solve everything put it everywhere liquid. A manufacturer will always tell you to use it on everything so you need to buy more. Just thought I'd ask from other experiences how they did it, what the easiest ways were to do it, and problems people encountered. Your right though everyone says to do it a different way lol

Quick Reply: SCT Tuning and Seafoam.