2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alot of Exhaust Questions, Just wanna finalize this

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 AM
sethcorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alot of Exhaust Questions, Just wanna finalize this

Thank eveyone for reading my thread. I've done alot of research and since everyone's setup tends to be a little bit differnt I figured I'd start my own topic.

First, I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x2 Dodge Ram 5.9L.... I want a SI/SO exhaust system with a decent looking stainless steel tip.

1. Is it center in/ offset out? Is the exhaust pipe measured in diameter? Im probably an idiot, but the stock pipe I have measures 3 1/2 on the tape. I bought this one owner from an old retired man, who I know didn't replace the stock pipe he even told me so.

2. The muffler I need is it 2 1/2 in and 2 1/2 out? Honestly could care less about the whole which size is better out argument. Do I want to go a size bigger so it slips over the stock pipe? I plan on welding it, unless bolton would work?

3. The tip, I just want it to be simple and look like it belongs, im gonna dump the exhaust in the stock location. Tip size do I want the inlet size the same as the pipe or bigger so it slips over the stock pipe?

Im looking at Magnaflow or Flowmaster 50 series.

All and all im just curious about your experiences, and what you think would work, I have a pretty good idea on what I want, but just curious of your input. Thanks for repsonding!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

You want to get parts for your size pipe. Manufacturers take that into account when making the various parts. So, a muffler for a 2.5 inch exhaust system will fit over 2.5 inch pipe. If you go for the larger sizes, you will have some nice gaps to fill when you weld it up.

Pipe is measured by inside diameter.

Where the inlets/outlets are is just a matter of preference. Get the one you need to run the exhaust the way you want it.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This may help a little with the sizes.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ram-1500s.html

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
sethcorn

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! What about tips do they follow the same rules as mufflers as far is they will slip the same size pipe if I go with a weld on?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yep. They are actually pretty uniform in that across all manufacturers.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
sethcorn

Again thanks for the replies! Here is what I ended up going with! Im pretty stoked.

Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-842551/

Exhaust Tip
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-35205/

Gonna get the highflow cat probably after this winter, Doesn't look like that big of a job, even though it woulda prob been easier just to go them all in one job. Oh well I got a good hometown exhaust shop.

Quick Reply: Alot of Exhaust Questions, Just wanna finalize this