2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knock in the Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Geken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock in the Steering Wheel

Hey all,
I'm new to the forums and I just bought my truck about a month ago, and I've been driving it, but it's my first truck ever and I'm not really sure about some things. Number one, I know it's a truck and people keep telling me not to worry about some things, but I can't help but ask. Anyway when I'm driving down the road it's hard to describe I guess, but it's like I can feel the suspension in the accelerator and the steering wheel, it's not anything huge, but like I can feel little bumps and stuff when I'm driving down the road and occasionally I'll feel something like a knock in the steering wheel, I'm just not sure if that's a problem or if that's just how trucks ride or what, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

Old 07-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Spartan
Rookie
Default RE: Knock in the Steering Wheel

Geken i seem to have the same "problem" u describe. I would like to know if its normal or not...im 17 and not exactly experianced in automechanics so i cant tell you. But the main reason i would like to know is i cant exactly say for sure if it was there at all or if it was as bad before i put my 2" lift on..i went with taller coils and a AAL for the lift i didnt notice it before however i have been watching out for things just to make sure nothings screwed up with the lift but i cant say forsure that it wasnt there before the lift so i donno...help anyone?

P.S is your truck lifted any?

Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Geken

No my truck isn't lifted at all, it's all stock. The feeling's pretty faint, but it's noticeable

Old 07-25-2005, 10:14 PM
InspiredCreations5.9
Professional

my steering column knocks too but only when im turning. Its a pretty common problem from what i understand.

Mines a 97 ....my dad just got a 02' and his even does it.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:34 AM
nmason
Veteran

ine also does this. its a 96. ive checked all the steering components, greased everything, even changed alot of the front suspension. its still there. my suggestion is that you learn to live with it.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
BuckLee1

1. Are your front tires wearing out faster and different from one another?
2. Can you feel the knock with your feet on the floor board?
3. Does this happen when you turn in either direction?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you should check your track bar. To do this, you will need two people, yourself and a mindless helper. Lay down in front of the truck and have the other person rotate the steering wheel in opposite directions. If you notice your entire front end shift from left to right (it actually looks like the truck is moving back and forth and your front end stays in one spot), then your track bar is probably worn out and needs to be replaced. Try to take care of this as quick as possible. This happened to me and within a month, I was replacing my front tires.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Flynbryan19
Rookie

I just checked this last night, and did not notice any movement in the swaybar that didn't look normal. No slop in the bushings, no unusual movement........ Although I have noticed that my front tires are feathering. Could just be bad shocks or alignment. Have not noticed any slop in my wheel bearings either.

Does the truck need to be off the ground to check this? Mine was just sitting in the driveway.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 AM
theshocker
Veteran

Mine does it as well. It almost seems like there is play in the steering colum or something. I checked everything and it all seems to be o.k.. I don't know what it is!!![sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Ram4Aaron
Professional

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Mine felt like play in the column as well. I took it to the dealer and they said they'd fix it. But when drove it, they didn't feel it. It went away. Well it's back again now but I'm just learning to deal with it.

Quick Reply: Knock in the Steering Wheel