2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed new transmission, now NO BUS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM
XxCutterxX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, it is much appreciated. I will go back thru the wiring for the PCM and tranny.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XxCutterxX
Would crank sensor give a no bus?

It is possible if the wires are pinched. Just make sure , that's all I'm saying. Get a mirror and look back there. Of course it most likely wouldn't run too good either. There are a bunch of threads about no bus( I don't recall the fixes at the moment), your problem could be totally unrelated to the tranny swap. I'm just thinking tranny swap related issues.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XxCutterxX
I bought a truck that had been tip on its side. The owners pulled the transmission before I bought it. A newer transmission was put in it, but getting a "no bus" code. It shifts fine runs fine but have the code. Has me stumped. What do you guys know of the no bus code?
Reading "No Bus" on the cluster? Or do you have an actual P code you can post?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

No bus means the cluster isn't hearing anything from the PCM. That's either a bad connection somewhere, bad central timer module, or failing cluster. Do any of the gauges work?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Novarider
Captain

Will a pinched crank sensor wire cause a no bus issue? I ask because my no bus problem started after I had the tranny rebuilt.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Novarider
Will a pinched crank sensor wire cause a no bus issue? I ask because my no bus problem started after I had the tranny rebuilt.
yes it will but normally that could cause a no start situation..no bus means theres an issue in the can data bus system..somethings not communicating with something else probly something as simple as a loose connection or bad ground.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
badmojo
Default no bus

New guy here. I had the same 'no bus' issue a couple a years ago with my 01 5.9 , What i did was disconnect 1 connector at the pcm (there should be three, i started with the left one first then i did the right) then crank the engine, reconnect and and start the engine, check and see if fixed, if not do the the same with other connector. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by badmojo; 10-15-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
XxCutterxX

No "P"codes. Just "no bus." Checked the grounds and pinched wires. All seems to be in order. The fuel gauge is the only gauge not working. Tried the disconnects on the pcm and nothing changed. The truck sometimes turns over a few times after the key switch is off. The check engine light and abs and brake lights are on.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the engine wont even crank over?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Novarider
Captain

I have a question about my no bus problem. My gauges will die and I get no bus in the mileage window. When this happens if I push on the cluster or smack the bezel right below the cluster the gauges come back on. They will go out in a minute or so then I smack it and they come back again. Does this sound like a bad cluster?

Quick Reply: Installed new transmission, now NO BUS