2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Checked my plenum today.....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John D in CT
"Yours is blown too. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's not, like I did when I first joined DF. "

Oh jeez, not you again ...

You know, Mrs. Z thought she'd found "Mr. Right" until she found out his first name was "Always". hehe

OK, you're probably right, but as the guy on "Mythbusters" likes to say, "I reject your reality and replace it with my own".

Fine, I'll do the plenum fix/kegger mod (gonna splurge on a Roto-zip since my Dremel isn't really up to the task, and I already have all the gaskets). Yes, I'm going to get an aluminum plate. :P

If I'm wrong, and my engine runs much better, since I'm incapable of admitting I'm wrong about anything I'll of course drive off the nearest cliff and you won't have to deal with my foolishness any longer. If it doesn't improve anything, you have to start a thread called "John D was right and I was wrong". That alone will more than make up for any time that I might end up wasting on the job. Deal?

LOL, you know you have a Magnum and theres no way around the inevitable.

Originally Posted by lastrights
i dont have this problem

Your cheating.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:05 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what my intake looks like at 160K miles, and my engine runs great. How is yours running? If it is also running great, your plenum might be fine, and you can make something else a priority.

That residue could just be the normal result of an intake sucking in oily vapor through the crankcase ventilation system.

As others have said, the best way to get a good look is to take off the throttle body, which isn't very difficult. Your plenum plate probably looks the worst right there in the area right below the TB, since that's where the oil particles from the crankcase would seem to want to end up. If the other areas look better, or at least no worse, you might just be fine. I keep hearing that "pooling" oil is usually present with a truly blown plenum gasket, and that just looks fairly normal to me.

Again, before you pull your intake apart (unless you truly have nothing better to do), is your engine exhibiting any of the symptoms of a blown plenum gasket?

(Bring it on, boys - I'm wearing my asbestos long-johns).
I have 123k miles on it haha i know, but my engine runs perfect, does not show any signs of a bad plenum. my dad said its prolly just normal buildup so i sprayed some carb cleaner down there to clean it up. doing the plenum fix seems hard only because i wont not know how everything would go back on, lol

Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On mine, the PO knew nothing about it. He wondered why he had a clogged cat....

I have never had a clogged cat, and I have as many as 260,000 on one vehicle, and over 100,000 on five others. Been driving since before cats were mandated, and never lost a cat.

If you wait until a cat is clogged to address thie reality, it will only cost more money, and from what I have read, may lead to cracked heads - hence even more money.

If it is not a probelem, then that is great. But it may be inevitable. Keeping a close eye on this would be time well spent.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

"my engine runs perfect, does not show any signs of a bad plenum. my dad said its prolly just normal buildup ..."

Your Dad sounds like a very, very wise man.

I'm putting this one in the "W" column.

Here, this is me and the OP kicking the can (or is that a little keg?) down the road:

"Keeping a close eye on this would be time well spent".

Agree totally, and I am going to do mine. With something that fails so commonly, it's basically (as I see it) a "must do" for any Magnum with over 100K. Kinda like changing a timing belt before it breaks and causes more damage. Also a great time to replace the timing gears and chain, injector o-rings, intake manifold gaskets, and water pump. There's also a lot to be said for doing it as planned, preventive maintenance instead of during the dead of winter and/or when you really need your truck, like when you're in the middle of an important money-making project, or on a long trip.

There, does that get me out of the doghouse?

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

This might be a dumb question, but what does the "W" column mean?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by DogeRamGuy1993
This might be a dumb question, but what does the "W" column mean?
[W]in, baby, win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH12aIXTfJw

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-15-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

[W]in, baby, win
Hell yeah!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[W]in, baby, win
Just like Rangers WIN over Detroit? Heck yea!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Just like Rangers WIN over Detroit? Heck yea!
I'm from Michigan and about 15 min away from the D, i happen to be a die hard tigers fan. We got this series. Tigers all the way baby!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, my truck's plenum plate was so clean you could eat off it. That was at 50K miles. And my oil was squeaky clean. I guess that is what happens when you change the oil with mobil 1 Synthetic every 3 months OR 3K miles.

The more you run your oil, the more the PCV system will emit those vapors. The object is to change the oil before the vapors get there. SInce our trucks run so richly, they will change the composition of the oil much faster.

I also use lucas oil stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Checked my plenum today.....need some advice