2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Checked my plenum today.....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DogeRamGuy1993
I'm from Michigan and about 15 min away from the D, i happen to be a die hard tigers fan. We got this series. Tigers all the way baby!

Ouch. Then you really don't want to know that the score is 9 - 2 Rangers in the top of the 5th.....I will keep it under my hat.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Ouch. Then you really don't want to know that the score is 9 - 2 Rangers in the top of the 5th.....I will keep it under my hat.
Plenty of time left sir!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Tazman89

MY truck showed no sign of a blown plenum and it ran like a champ but guess what to my suprise when i took off the keg blowouts everywhere!!!!!!!!! and mine looked just like yours!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tazman89
MY truck showed no sign of a blown plenum and it ran like a champ but guess what to my suprise when i took off the keg blowouts everywhere!!!!!!!!! and mine looked just like yours!
Did it run noticeably better after you replaced the plenum gasket?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
DodgeSporter

Mine looked the exact same when i did mine. It sounded fine and ran okay. Once I tore it apart it was worse then what yours was. The hardest thing i had done before this was plugs/wires (im a noobie). Just take pictures as you go to know how it goes back together and use the DIY threads. Took me a full weekend to due because cleaning the kegger was so bad, but when i put it back together you could tell it was running cleaner/smoother. Plus when i did the 02 sensors I got some mpgs back which is always a bonus.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 AM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeSporter
Mine looked the exact same when i did mine. It sounded fine and ran okay. Once I tore it apart it was worse then what yours was. The hardest thing i had done before this was plugs/wires (im a noobie). Just take pictures as you go to know how it goes back together and use the DIY threads. Took me a full weekend to due because cleaning the kegger was so bad, but when i put it back together you could tell it was running cleaner/smoother. Plus when i did the 02 sensors I got some mpgs back which is always a bonus.
Okay thanks, well i guess this is the next thing on my agenda, i probally wont be doing it myself though, a good friend of the family works for ford and has his own shop behind his house, ill just let him do it, thanks for the advice everyone

Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Old threa sorta but mine looks pretty good i think, has a little carbon from blowback but the whole pan looks like this pic when i used a dental mirror. What do you think ? bad or good, my Jeeps 5.9 has 130k. It does looks a little shiny doesnt ? But i dont know if that from just the vapors from the PCV or what

Name:  HPIM1749-1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  66.4 KB

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen them with oil pooling, and I have seen photos of some kind of like yours. I thnk yours is leaking, just not as bad as some. I'd start preparing for it if it were mine.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
DodgeRider1500
Amateur

OK, so i've been on the fence wondering if I had a blown Plenum, so today I took the air filter assembly apart and looked down past the butterflies, and it did seem dirty. So i put a magnet down there like I had read to do, and it seemed to stick, no to sure tho, it was a crappy magnet so I decided to stick some paper towel down there on a grabby tool, and the paper towel did have oil on it, it wasn't soaked but there was some on it.

My truck does seem to be having all the symptoms, its loosing performance, im loosing oil, not burning it or leaking, and its loosing coolant, my reservoir goes empty after say 2 weeks after filling it. Also at higher RPM's it does have the spark ping, sounds like a can of marbles in the engine bay. So would I be right to think that i need rip everything apart and replace? I put new plugs, wires and rotor on about 2 months ago, and that seemed to help. Opinions would be very appreciated

Thank in advance - Josh

Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeRider1500
OK, so i've been on the fence wondering if I had a blown Plenum, so today I took the air filter assembly apart and looked down past the butterflies, and it did seem dirty. So i put a magnet down there like I had read to do, and it seemed to stick, no to sure tho, it was a crappy magnet so I decided to stick some paper towel down there on a grabby tool, and the paper towel did have oil on it, it wasn't soaked but there was some on it.

My truck does seem to be having all the symptoms, its loosing performance, im loosing oil, not burning it or leaking, and its loosing coolant, my reservoir goes empty after say 2 weeks after filling it. Also at higher RPM's it does have the spark ping, sounds like a can of marbles in the engine bay. So would I be right to think that i need rip everything apart and replace? I put new plugs, wires and rotor on about 2 months ago, and that seemed to help. Opinions would be very appreciated

Thank in advance - Josh
Do yourself a favor and replace the plenum.

Quick Reply: Checked my plenum today.....need some advice