2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Checked my plenum today.....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:41 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checked my plenum today.....need some advice

Okay so i got off work early today and decided to check my plenum.

I did the magnet test and it did stick so i knew it was still the stock plate.

then i took a picture down in there and here is what i found....

is that bad? my plenum is fine right?

i was thinking about just shootin some carb cleaner down there to get rid of that black stuff.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Tazman89

That is bad you need to fix the plenum like now!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's bad. The proper way to check is to remove the TB. Look around at the sides and all 4 corners with a mirror and flashlight.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
It's bad. The proper way to check is to remove the TB. Look around at the sides and all 4 corners with a mirror and flashlight.

+1. Also, looks like +1 on need to replace it. Liklihood of original plenum plat AND gasket being good is about the same as Goldman-Sachs refunindg money to retirement plans they raided........

Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

damn! and i thought it looked good. man am i pissed off now!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
TheBrownDragon

Originally Posted by DogeRamGuy1993
damn! and i thought it looked good. man am i pissed off now!
Mines bad too my friend. If you want to waste 10 bucks you could also seafoam the engine. Its a waste of time if youre gonna change the plenum except that it smokes so much with that oil everywhere. I took my girl for a ride in the new truck for her first time after I put it in. The look on her fave was worth the 10 bucks.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

That's what my intake looks like at 160K miles, and my engine runs great. How is yours running? If it is also running great, your plenum might be fine, and you can make something else a priority.

That residue could just be the normal result of an intake sucking in oily vapor through the crankcase ventilation system.

As others have said, the best way to get a good look is to take off the throttle body, which isn't very difficult. Your plenum plate probably looks the worst right there in the area right below the TB, since that's where the oil particles from the crankcase would seem to want to end up. If the other areas look better, or at least no worse, you might just be fine. I keep hearing that "pooling" oil is usually present with a truly blown plenum gasket, and that just looks fairly normal to me.

Again, before you pull your intake apart (unless you truly have nothing better to do), is your engine exhibiting any of the symptoms of a blown plenum gasket?

(Bring it on, boys - I'm wearing my asbestos long-johns).

Old 10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John D in CT
That's what my intake looks like at 160K miles, and my engine runs great. How is yours running? If it is also running great, your plenum might be fine, and you can make something else a priority.

That residue could just be the normal result of an intake sucking in oily vapor through the crankcase ventilation system.

As others have said, the best way to get a good look is to take off the throttle body, which isn't very difficult. Your plenum plate probably looks the worst right there in the area right below the TB, since that's where the oil particles from the crankcase would seem to want to end up. If the other areas look better, or at least no worse, you might just be fine. I keep hearing that "pooling" oil is usually present with a truly blown plenum gasket, and that just looks fairly normal to me.

Again, before you pull your intake apart (unless you truly have nothing better to do), is your engine exhibiting any of the symptoms of a blown plenum gasket?

(Bring it on, boys - I'm wearing my asbestos long-johns).
Yours is blown too. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's not, like I did when I first joined DF.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

"Yours is blown too. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's not, like I did when I first joined DF. "

Oh jeez, not you again ...

You know, Mrs. Z thought she'd found "Mr. Right" until she found out his first name was "Always". hehe

OK, you're probably right, but as the guy on "Mythbusters" likes to say, "I reject your reality and replace it with my own".

Fine, I'll do the plenum fix/kegger mod (gonna splurge on a Roto-zip since my Dremel isn't really up to the task, and I already have all the gaskets). Yes, I'm going to get an aluminum plate. :P

If I'm wrong, and my engine runs much better, since I'm incapable of admitting I'm wrong about anything I'll of course drive off the nearest cliff and you won't have to deal with my foolishness any longer. If it doesn't improve anything, you have to start a thread called "John D was right and I was wrong". That alone will more than make up for any time that I might end up wasting on the job. Deal?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont have this problem

Quick Reply: Checked my plenum today.....need some advice