2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
NinetySixer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input

Thank all for your input. I'm located just outside of Boise, ID. The shops I've talked to so far say they can't repair, just replace. That includes the dealer from whom I bought the truck. When I ask what if a replacement isn't available, they just shrug their shoulders and have no answer. They also can't provide an answer as to whether a 26 gallon will fit in it's place. But I know it can be repaired because it has been done once already by the previous owner. Also from what I have read elsewhere in this forum another dodge owner did find a shop to replace the 35 gallon with a 26 gallon. Not something I'm anxious to do since this V10 gets only 14mpg highway, solo (not towing). I may have a line on a 35 gallon tank. I'm gonna check on it next week when the s.s. check gets here. Thank you for your suggestions. Dwight

Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Repair a plastic tank? No thanks. Did you call the people I gave you the link for or what?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
NinetySixer

What seems to be most important is to keep the gas cap loose so the tank won't pressurize. I have materials that supposedly will patch plastic, including radiators and gas tanks. But after crawling underneath to get an eyeball on the situation, I came to the conclusion I would need someone else to yank the sucker and re-install it after it's repaired because with my back I can't. Thank you for your help. Dwight - Boise, ID

Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 PM
NinetySixer

Originally Posted by zman17
Repair a plastic tank? No thanks. Did you call the people I gave you the link for or what?
I appreciate the info. Before I call them, I'm going to check on a used one for $90. If I have to repair it first or have any doubts about it, I will definitely give that outfit a call. And since their number is a Utah area code, shipping shouldn't be much. Dwight - Boise, ID.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd still get a tank from the link I posted. And then have someone install it for you, if you can't do it yourself.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM
storithere

just pulled my 96 dodge 35 gal tank. It was melted big time causing a leak. Must be from cat converter I figure because no signs of fire and tremendous heat had to be there at top of tank. The dealer said they cant get them anymore so its a salvage yard item. Dealer said over $500 if they could get one. Salvage yards are $100 used.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

NinetySixer, the pull-in-yourself yards in this area usually have folks on hand to pull and install parts from their yard for folks that are unable or do not want to. Have you checked with that salvage yard in your area that has the 35 gallon tank to see if they offer these services to remove the tank for you? If they do not, do they have someone that they could recommend?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
NinetySixer, the pull-in-yourself yards in this area usually have folks on hand to pull and install parts from their yard for folks that are unable or do not want to. Have you checked with that salvage yard in your area that has the 35 gallon tank to see if they offer these services to remove the tank for you? If they do not, do they have someone that they could recommend?
This thread is over 2 years old

Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 AM
storithere
Default 96 ram gas tank problems

there are no 35 gal tanks anywhere new or old. I discovered that they melt from heat due to cat converters going out causing them to run rough or not at all. The heat shield does not keep heat from the top of the tank. Pull the oxygen senser to see if it runs to confirm the cat converter is bad. I may post a photo later of mine. I have mine out now discovering this and suspected the cat or computer already having done everything else. Mine runs great or hardly at all on and off and only has 101k miles. The tank is melted where the pump ring is half gone from heat as if I was driving a bomb about to explode. I may have to glue it if I don't find another tank. Sam's riverside salvage may have one, but haven't called me back yet and none exists that I can find. It might pay to cover the top of the tank to keep heat off it. You may be able to slide flexible sheet metal over it from pass side over the drive shaft. They are very easy to pull. Even if you don't have a problem, do cover it or be sorry later.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM
storithere
Default melted 35 gal tank from cat converter heat

96 ram 2500 tank

Attached Thumbnails '96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes-tank.jpg  

Quick Reply: '96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes