2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
NinetySixer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes

I have a 1996 Ram 2500, V10, club cab, 8 ft. bed, SLT trim, heavy duty tow package. It's got a 35 gallon tank that is now leaking as a result of something hitting it. Cannot tell where it was hit or exactly where it is leaking from. It doesn't leak as long as the gas cap is kept loose and I don't fill much more than half ways. Looks like this tank has been repaired before. Does anyone know if this tank is still available, OEM or aftermarket? These plastic tanks also have a history of cracking on top at mounting points, as is evident by the repairs on this tank. Do any aftermarket tanks address this? If no replacement is available, will a 26 gallon tank for that year physically fit in it's place? Are they available? If so, what will be needed to make it work? Truck ain't no good w/o a gas tank.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

There was a discussion the other day about tanks, and the consensus was the 35 gal was a different beast than 26/34gal. I'd check the local junkyards for a replacement, clean it out, and swap it in. I'm sure there has to be an aftermarket available though, just not sure on the $.

Use this site to check local JY's

http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 10-18-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Could try calling the dealer, just make sure you are sitting down first..... might also try your local parts stores, see if they can order one, I doubt anyone will have it sitting on the shelf.... There are some on EBay...... Junkyards may have it, if not, if they have a parts locator service, they can find one for you.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
NinetySixer

I'm hesitant about getting one from a wrecking yard because I never know what I'll wind up with. There is one (1) wrecking yard local to Boise that has a 35 gallon tank, but it is a customer pull type yard. Can't do that sort of thing any more with degenerative spinal arthritis. The last two days I've scoured the Internet looking for a replacement tank w/o success. I've even considered an in-bed tank from TransferFlow, but that's over $1600 + in$tallation. Ain't gonna work on $600/mo. social security. It's amazing what I'm finding out about this truck now. I should have done my home work before buying. If anyone knows of a viable solution PLEASE let me know. Thanks. Dwight

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

There was a 26 gallon tank on ebay for 75 bucks......

Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Dwight - first off, welcome to the forum. I'm damn sorry to hear about your back problems; I give that a Fun Factor of roughly zero. Sure hope it doesn't hurt too much, on top of restricting your activity.

"The last two days I've scoured the Internet looking for a replacement tank w/o success". And the last 15 minutes I've done the same, with about the same results. I was at the site with those pricey tanks - yow. The closest I came to success was this place:

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_p...uel_parts.html

They didn't quite list your exact year and size, but they came damn close, for about $400. Might be worth giving them a call, because they probably know the deal on how available your exact size is.

Where are you located? If I was able to track down a good used one, I'd be willing to ship it to you; they're not all that heavy.

I mention used because I really don't think they go bad all that often; I have a 38 in my van and it's fine after 17 years.

Another option is repairing yours; plastic can be welded just like steel, with great results. You might be able to find someone in your area who does that, and a reasonably-priced mechanic to yank it out for you and put it back in.

Can you still drive it OK as long as you keep the level low?

Again, welcome, and good luck with this.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Yes I would definately look into having that one repaired. A local radiator shop here repairs gas tanks relatively cheap. I had the tank in my Monte Carlo cleaned, lined, and a sump welded in for about $100.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread urges some knuckle ups. Very cool input fellas, very effin' cool.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Except for SilverSS's suggestion right?

Quick Reply: '96 2500 35 gallon gas tank woes