2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low Mpg, Torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011 | 10:27 PM
Overstreet
|
Professional
Default Low Mpg, Torque converter?

Backlog story

2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9

I bought a ram, yanked the engine and rebuilt it but the truck sat for a little less than a year. The truck has above 200K Miles and I don't know the history of the transmission. If it has ever been rebuilt or anything of that sort. I know the transmission is not slipping.

The motor was rebuilt with all these parts
arp rod bolts
clevite bearings
arp main bolts
Still Stock Bore
stock pistons
new stock spec cam
New hughes engine Heads with stainless steel valves
Harland sharp roller rockers 1:7.1
msd coil
8.5mm wires
lower temp thermostat
shorty headers
catalytic converter was clogged so it is straight to the flowmaster

I believe the the computer is running rich due to the rockers and heads and thermostat
but it seems everyone has had positive results with them

I dont know if the ignition system is not acting as good as the stock system or if

So I guess narrowed down

1.Torque converter and trans need to be rebuilt losing power through the drivetrain

2. either buy a tuner (sct) or remove mods

3. Make sure brakes are not dragging

4. Put it back together try and get the money I put into it and pay difference on a 24 valve cummins and call it a night

Thanks everyone for the opinions!

Last edited by Overstreet; 10-23-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spellingzzzz
Old 10-23-2011 | 10:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

Can you monitor O2 sesnors and see what it is doing? Find someone with a Snap On or (MT2500) or other computer and see if TC is locking up when called. I would think it woule set CEL if it didn't, or if there were any transmission realated issues.

What about plenum? Did you install aftermarket plate?

As much as you have in it at this point, a SCT tuner from hemifever would be a good investment.

Old 10-23-2011 | 10:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

what is your mpg?
what size and type of tires?
any lift?
is your speedo/odometer correct?
have you replaced front o2 sensor?
any black smoke?

Old 10-24-2011 | 12:44 AM
Overstreet
|
Professional

No black smoke new Bosch 02 sensors about a year ago and it sat has the Hughes plenum fix will check for oil in intake
Had a new iac installed all new sensors besides map and tps the only other thing I can think of is since I got mopar valve covers the PCV is hooked up new PCV as well but passenger side breather that goes back to intake is plugged up and it's running conventional oil non synthetic until I get more miles on the engine

Stock tire size for the 4x4 no lift no body lift or spacer
5-7 mpg usually get 8-9 sometimes if Im trying really hard to slowly take off

Old 10-24-2011 | 08:08 AM
chadhager03
Captain

Bosch o2 sensors are bad apparently, change those. I've heard nothing but bad things about those for our trucks but my friend has a 97 Dakota and he has no problem with the Bosch o2 sensor

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The question that remains to be answered is: What kind of mileage are you getting, and are you hand calculating it, or reading it off the overhead display. What you may think is "bad", might be average for these trucks.......

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:15 AM
drewactual
Champion

the 'sposed issue with Bosch o2 sensors is the 'slow to respond' voltages.. that causes an issue.. I don't know how much truth there is to that being the case, but something was a problem with my rig and Bosch.. the NGK's never hiccuped.. I understand that Densco are good to go as well..

you are most likely running rich with that lower temp 'stat and no tune.. that is a problem.. and that, all by itself is enough to cause you issue with running rich.. the SCT or a programmer will remedy that..

I'd rec you contact sean 'hemifever' and get the SCT.. tell him what you listed here, and make sure he knows the specs on the heads if they are higher flowing models.. You'll be surprised the gains that will be discovered.. but, all told- that lower temp stat without a tune is costing you not only mileage/economy, but a few ponies too.

Old 10-24-2011 | 10:46 AM
Overstreet
|
Professional

I have to pass ca smog as well...so any thoughts on the sct and the thermostat running at a different temp

Old 10-24-2011 | 11:09 AM
drewactual
Champion

Cooler stats without a program will cause you to run rich... Rich will cause you to fail the sniff test.. either put a new oe temperature stat oback on, or get a tune to support the lower temp stat and curve your fuel delivery some..

Old 10-24-2011 | 01:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

How's it going to pass with no cat(s)?

Quick Reply: Low Mpg, Torque converter?