2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strange steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Make sure you have all the air bled out of the system. Jack up the front, verify fluid level, start the engine, and crank the wheel from lock to lock a couple times. Check the fluid, if it's foamy, shut off the engine, and let it settle for a while. Keep doing that until fluid level stays consistent, and isn't whipped full of air.

Aside from the pump, and the steering box, there isn't anything else it could be, the rest is just fluid lines. Flow control valve is on the pump, but, I don't think I have ever gotten a bad one out of the box...... Make sure all the air is out, and see if it is any better.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 PM
jpryorx2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i was afraid someone would say that but i guess a gearbox is in my near future.i live in northern michigan and we've allready had a couple of mornings with ice on the road and this thing is down right scary because even turning the wheel an inch is over steering

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Don't give up just yet. Aside from getting a defective pump, there's no reason your steering should be super-hard now, when it was super-easy before. I still think there's a good chance your problem was with the pump, and that the one you bought still might start working properly. I'd just keep trying to get air out of it like HeyYou said.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't remember, but is it possible to connect the hoses incorrectly? What would that do to steering? Normally, if the pump goes out, the steering is just hard.

Is the gearbox the same on 2wd as 4x4? I replaced idler arm on 2wd, and it made steering more stiff (slightly) but took out a lot of slop and wander. I know part of suspension and steering is different. Just thinking out loud - or on keyboard.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Is there a flow regulator you might have knocked out in the lines somewhere?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:04 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

nothing that i saw and the problem started long before i ever took any lines off. nothing could be hooked up backwards because there is only 1 threaded pressure line and just a hose on to a barbed return line. i'm not sure exactly when it started with the old pump but it seemed to be getting worse. i don't see any foaming or bubbles in the fluid so i'm pretty sure all the air is out. it's still doing the same thing at idle if feels like i'm trying to turn the wheel without the engine running. when i tach it up i can fling it with 1 finger and the wheel keeps spinning lock to lock and it still doesn't return to center. i'm ready to start pulling my hair out but all that will do is make my bald spot bigger

Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only other thing I can think of is the steering stabilizer. Could it be binding up, and then with increased rpm (increase fluid flow and/or pressure) it overcomes the binding?

Can you disconnet stabilizer and see if anything changes?

I am out of other ideas.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM
jpryorx2
Professional

i don't think it could be the stabilizer because it's still way to easy to turn when it's tached up. with the old pump it was too easy all the time. i found a gear box out of a 94 on craigslist for 35 bucks will it work on a 98 ? it's a 2 hour drive each way and i have to pull it out myself so i'm gonna go pull mine first so i know what tools i need before taking the sunday drive to get the other one.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Same box. I don't think they change at all..... maybe in 2000.....

Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

ok looks like it might be a day or 2 got i got mine pulled out mainly so i know what tools i would need to pick up the other one. called the guy and now he isn't available and i'm not having any luck finding anyone else that i can get 1 today like i was hoping

Quick Reply: strange steering issue