2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strange steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
jpryorx2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange steering issue

hey guys i have a 98 1500 4wd last year i rebuilt my front end ie all the ball joints,tierods and the bar between the frame and axle had it aligned and everything was great untill about a month ago. now my steering is way to easy i can literally whip the wheel around with one finger.also the steering wheel doesn't return to center like it should. i checked for worn parts and only found a bad swaybar link which i don't think could cause this. so i took it into the shop that aligned it last year they put it on the lift and said my front end is perfect other then a bad sway bar link. he then took it for a quick drive he was back within 5 mins putting it back on lift checking it again. now he is as confused as i am and said i might just have to keep driving it untill whatever is wrong gets wrose so he can find it. i can control the truck right now but am very worried about what it's gonna drive like once the snow is on the ground. can anyone give me an idea on what to even check? i really don't want to just start changing out parts like the steering gearbox or pump without knowing whats going on in the first place

thanks
jason

Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

possibly a gear box in severe need of adjustment or a failing gear box? but these are just guesses

Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Whats the condition of your hub bearings and tires?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Is it really easy to turn the wheels, or, is there slop in the steering? If the former, have a look at the flow control valve on the back side of the power steering pump. (its the part the the pressure line screws into on the pump), if the later, take a good hard look at the steering box.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

sorry the bearings and tires slipped my mind completely. both bearings and all 4 tires were replaced this time last year. i don't notice any slop at all in the front end. it is just really easy to turn kinda like the bed is way overloaded and theres no weight on the front end. i will try to take a look at the flow control valve tomorrow after work. is it somthing thats repairable maybe stuck or just replace the whole pump?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You could try and clean it..... but, I have no idea how successful that would be. I am unsure if they are available as a separate part.... maybe from the dealer, but, that would probably cost as much as a new pump with reservoir from the parts store......

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

ok thanks i might pull it apart and see if it's got junk on it or somthing. if not i'll wait till the weekend and get a new pump.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

been raining and i don't have a garage so i haven't had a chance to pull the valve yet. i did however drain the fluid and ran a can of sea foam trans tune in for about an hour of sitting in my driveway turning the wheel back and forth. before draining it and refilling it with power steering fluid. as of right now with it sitting still on cement i can have the wheel turned all the way in either direction and use 1 finger and just fling the wheel and it will go all the way the other way. this is driving me crazy at this point

Old 10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

I think it is the pump. Putting out too much flow, and not cutting flow to the box when it should, so the wheels can't track correctly.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:32 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

ok just made the 75 miles round trip drive to get a new pump. now the problems are even worse. with the new pump in at idle i can not even turn the steering wheel. but when i give it some rpms it's just like it was with the old pump. i've called every junk yard within 100 miles and can't find a gearbox and would rather not drop the 200 bucks for a new one just in case thats not the problem. can anyone think of anything else i should check or test before buying a gear box? i did flush out the system and the new pump looks to have very good flow. but i am just loosing my mind here. thanks in advance
jason

Quick Reply: strange steering issue