2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idle went so low truck almost died why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
ofd149
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if im not mistaken.... if it ends up being a fuel issue the pump is a whole unit in the tank right?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it is.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
bseeton1
Default me two!!

i've been having same issues with my 98 ram 1500 5.9l, the idle most of the time was around 600-1000 hot or cold at times though it would rev to 2000+ plus and then i would bump the throttle most times it just followed suit higher 3000+and stayed the rest of the time it would settle back to normal. I would have to kill the motor and restart to get normal idle. I have initially replaced tps,aic 6months ago and the main vaccum check valve 2months ago fixing wild vents and irradic trans shift. This morning it was cold but it idled fine on start got acouple miles from the house was coasting to a start and it died. Restart filled with gas(i have 45+ fuel pressure at all times,got a pillar gauge)started at lower than normal idle 400 or so pulled out to light and died. Had the plugs,rotor ,cap wires replaced and it didnt want to idle at all had to gas it to get it up and runing and it seems my high idle problem has turned into a no/low idle problem. I was thinking a thermal reporting sensor is to blame,mass air sensor or O2 maybe. I have replaced cat in the last year as well. my mileage is around 12-13 like all the rest of us poor bastards. no Cel but will check for codes tommorrow

Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Bad compression maybe?
I would suppose more problems with bad compression than just a low idle/stalling but idk

You can clean the MAF sensor and try that. A bad o2 would leave you with worse mileage than that.

If you're losing oil...Bad plenum, pcv valve/hose can cause idle problems.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
bseeton1

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Bad compression maybe?
I would suppose more problems with bad compression than just a low idle/stalling but idk

You can clean the MAF sensor and try that. A bad o2 would leave you with worse mileage than that.

If you're losing oil...Bad plenum, pcv valve/hose can cause idle problems.
120 k on motor no oil loss/use i have sprayed all around the plenum while running and had no response issues so i assume theres no leak i will clean mas flow and replace pcv

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bseeton1
120 k on motor no oil loss/use i have sprayed all around the plenum while running and had no response issues so i assume theres no leak i will clean mas flow and replace pcv
Sorry but, you didn't spray around the plenum. You sprayed around the upper intake manifold. read the sticky about the plenum on the top of the forum.

Edit, and you can't clean the MAP sensor.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
Sorry but, you didn't spray around the plenum. You sprayed around the upper intake manifold. read the sticky about the plenum on the top of the forum.

He said Mass Air Flow sensor, not MAP. I know mine doesn't have one, but I thought maybe his did since he suggested it could be bad. I have since looked it up...There's no MAF in your truck bseeton1.

And ya don't try to clean your MAP with MAF cleaner.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
ofd149

how would the pcv valve hose cause an idle issue?? and what is the plenum??

Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
bseeton1

Originally Posted by zman17

your right

Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM
bseeton1

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
He said Mass Air Flow sensor, not MAP. I know mine doesn't have one, but I thought maybe his did since he suggested it could be bad. I have since looked it up...There's no MAF in your truck bseeton1.

And ya don't try to clean your MAP with MAF cleaner.
map maf what ever the nomenclature was initially an assumption on my part as i know that this primary function has to be input by some "sensory device". I have always looked at this forum as a great souce of knowledge thats moderated and used by extremely knowledgeable mechanics. I hate to see that a few ****in wise asses just want to point out a few simple faults in a post which ultimately shows lack of knowledge on there part. By the way my trucks right as rain now that i ran it a few miles

Quick Reply: idle went so low truck almost died why?