2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idle went so low truck almost died why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
ofd149
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@heyyou it is no better at all it runs like crap hot cold moving espeshally moving ill be in route to an emergency call (im a firefighter) and it will just bog down, back fire and smell like its running really rich.

@gdstock thanks for telling me where i can get the pressure guage not do i just hook that up to the fule line under the truck? im sure its pretty simple once i see it but for now im just going to ask the dumb annoying questions. thanks to all you guys for the help and advice

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

There should be a pressure tap on the fuel rail. (looks like a larger version of a tires valve stem.) Pressure gauge screws on to that. It WILL squirt gas if there is pressure on the system. (like, when you are taking it off....) So, BE CAREFUL! No fires please. Just put a rag around it to soak up the excess, and prevent it from going everywhere.

What year is your truck? (you really should put that info in your sig. )

Might be a failing crank sensor, or engine coolant temp sensor. Since it smells really rich,I would check coolant temp sensor first. If it goes open (bad connection), the PCM sees engine temp as -40*C.... so it DUMPS gas...... and the engine can't burn it all. So, it smells bad, and runs like crap, regardless of actual engine temp. (well, ok, if the engine IS -40*C, then it wouldn't make a difference....... I doubt it is that cold yet though.)

Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ofd149
.... for now im just going to ask the dumb annoying questions. thanks to all you guys for the help and advice

Questions are not dumb or annoying. That is how we all learn.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
ofd149

i have a 1998 2500 5.9 V8 with 151*** miles.

the crank sensor... that would be at the far back of the motor where the dist. cap sits correct? also the coolant temp sensor..... i had to replace the radiator a few months ago so i changed that, and the thermometer.... i did notice that the temp was shooting up close to red and then all of a sudden it would shoot back down.....? where would the temp sensor be at??
one last thing i'v been having alot of people telling me vacuum leak in the entire web is there a schematic (some one made cause they were really board one day) of the vacuum lines for a magnum 360?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

Crank sensor is actually on the back of the block in the trans housing just behind the trans dipstick (if you have auto trans). The cam sensor is in the distrubutor.

Download service manual in the FAQ/DIY section. It will help a lot. I use the 2001 version - works for my 99.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
ofd149

theres a dyi section?!?!?! SOB!!! you guys have been a great help hopfully i can find something that will help me out in that dyi section

Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Let us know what you find....

Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
ofd149

ok i must be completely dumb or this site is just a bitch to use when your not use to it i can not find that dyi section at all..... went to FAQ part and did a search and also looked for DIY and nothing......

Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ofd149
ok i must be completely dumb or this site is just a bitch to use when your not use to it i can not find that dyi section at all..... went to FAQ part and did a search and also looked for DIY and nothing......

Dude, it's on the first page. LOL https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
bigblockmopar419
Amateur

i have a 99 2500 v8 an im having the same problem... i talked to some guys at work (Brandon dodge) and our main transmission tech an another tech helped me diagnose whats going on the only thing we could come up with after i was at operating tamp an hooked up the drb3... is that the torque converter is locking up when its not supposed hence the really low idle an then stalling.. because i too have replaced the iac the tps an the pre cat o2 sensor an im still having this issue my fuel mileage is erratic an my truck has no *****.. an this would also explain why im having the other problems that i am...

only thing that i can think is replace torque converter an possibly rebuild trans for the third time!!! fml!!

tell me if all think this is accurate or not...

Quick Reply: idle went so low truck almost died why?