2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idle went so low truck almost died why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think they were being a wise ***. Some efi engines do have MAF and some have MAP. Sometimes when we don't know if a person knows, it needs to be pointed out. And sometimes, there is some humor in postings. Don't get frustrated.

As far as the plenum, it is the pan on the bottome of the intake. Look down the TB with a flashlight and see if you have any oil pooled in the corners. Also, stick a magnet inside to see if the pan is steel or aluminmu. If it is steel, you will have a plenum gasket blow if it has not already done so. If there is oil in there, it has already blown the gasket. If the pan is aluminum, someone has already fixed it (unless there is oil, and it needs fixed again).

There is a sticky thread called "be all end all plenum thread." All the info yuo need is there.

Your truck is probably running right as rain now after working on it, the PCM relearned everything.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM
bseeton1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I don't think they were being a wise ***. Some efi engines do have MAF and some have MAP. Sometimes when we don't know if a person knows, it needs to be pointed out. And sometimes, there is some humor in postings. Don't get frustrated.

As far as the plenum, it is the pan on the bottome of the intake. Look down the TB with a flashlight and see if you have any oil pooled in the corners. Also, stick a magnet inside to see if the pan is steel or aluminmu. If it is steel, you will have a plenum gasket blow if it has not already done so. If there is oil in there, it has already blown the gasket. If the pan is aluminum, someone has already fixed it (unless there is oil, and it needs fixed again).

There is a sticky thread called "be all end all plenum thread." All the info yuo need is there.

Your truck is probably running right as rain now after working on it, the PCM relearned everything.
1 i was born in texas i know how wise ***'s operate
2 im aware of the plenum post/sticky
3 yes the pcm relearned the new parameters
ultimately i see the humor in this and other posting *** well but i dont give much thought to anyones mechanical knowledge/hazzing unless they've had at least 100 postings or a couple years on the forum and the input has to still be productive and not just as slam over some minor point with no real input to the issues at hand.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bseeton1
i dont give much thought to anyones mechanical knowledge/hazzing unless they've had at least 100 postings or a couple years on the forum
I'm proof you still have to be careful, even with that metric. Some of us are just post ******.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, umm, I wasn't being a wise *** or try to be funny. Just trying to help.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

gdstock... well said my good sir.

Originally Posted by bseeton1
1 i was born in texas i know how wise ***'s operate
2 im aware of the plenum post/sticky
3 yes the pcm relearned the new parameters
ultimately i see the humor in this and other posting *** well but i dont give much thought to anyones mechanical knowledge/hazzing unless they've had at least 100 postings or a couple years on the forum and the input has to still be productive and not just as slam over some minor point with no real input to the issues at hand.
Frankly....nobody cares where you were born. It has nothing to do with the metric of wise ***-ness or related. For the record, nomenclature, in severe opinion, is critical. Comprehending it is a completely separate matter. I should know....look at my own personal work in making myself into an azzzzz.

It's all about being creative about your azz making.

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I'm proof you still have to be careful, even with that metric. Some of us are just post ******.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
gdstock
Legend

Sometimes we have thin skin....it's referred to as part of the "human condition." And I will refrain from making okie jokes..........for as long as I can........

For clarification for everyone else's edification, we Texans know how wise asses operate by observation - no persoanl experience, of course.....

And...some people that are new here may have significant automtive experience and recently started sinking their money into a Ram. Doesn't necessarily mean they have no expertise or knowledge.

Last edited by gdstock; 11-06-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Well, umm, I wasn't being a wise *** or try to be funny. Just trying to help.
You were unabashedly helpful. It the other guy called the wise azzz.

Originally Posted by gdstock
Sometimes we have thin sking....it's referred to as part of the "human condition." And I will refrain from making okie jokes..........for as long as I can........

For clarification for everyone else's edification, we Texans know how wise asses operate by observation - no persoanl experience, of course.....

And...some people that are new here may have significant automtive experience and recently started sinking their money into a Ram. Doesn't necessarily mean they have no expertise or knowledge.
Quit with the anecdotes!! Oh wait...it is Sunday.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM
ofd149
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i checked the plenum (the pan under the intake as gdstock said) and its still steel but no oil. so im guessing that the gasket is still good....? again i changed the 2 sensors on the throttle body that didnt fix the problem..... so if its not the plenum or the iac or the tps, what should i be checking next??? someone on here said check the fuel pressure... well how would i go about doing that and not having to bring it to a shop and pay someone 100.00 an hour to go "well i dont knwo what to tell ya" cause thats all there saying to me now.......

Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Does it still do it? Is it worse when hot? Or cold?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
gdstock
Legend

I bought a fuel pressure gauge at harbor freight. With about 7 vehicles it is pretty handy, and not that expensive. Less than paying for an hour shop time. Should be around 45 -53 pounds.

Metal plenum...may have been repaired using original pan, but if gasket is blown, you would have seen oil. Just check it periodically, like when you change oil or something. It will let go at some point. Lucky so far. If it does blow, replace it with 1/4" aluminum plate. Found on e-bay for about $50.

Quick Reply: idle went so low truck almost died why?